REI Dividend

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Aimless

Re: REI Dividend

Post by Aimless » March 15th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Reviving an old thread on an perennial subject. FYI, my REI dividend became available today (Wed. March 15, 2017). You can check it online if you know your member number or have an online account. The local stores are likely to get crowded for a few days once the mailed dividend notices go out.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 15th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Whoa, I have more than I expected. (Of course, 90% of that is from the REI credit card.) Might be time for some new boots soon...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 15th, 2017, 10:59 pm

If possible wait until July and get your dividend in cash, since you don't get a dividend on any purchases made using the dividend.

I contacted REI Live support and asked about this; I was told that purchases made using the dividend do count toward next year's dividend if they would have otherwise. "Method of payment does not matter." Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Those with the REI credit card would still lose out on that additional dividend if the purchase were not made through the card.
Last edited by Webfoot on March 16th, 2017, 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 16th, 2017, 9:30 am

Webfoot wrote:you don't get a dividend on any purchases made using the dividend.
When was this policy instituted? It certainly was not the case many years ago, when I was quite poor and kept very close track of my dividend. Back then any purchase made of non-discounted items resulted in a dividend. (NB: using the 20% off coupon counts as a discount.) I am not aware of any recent changes to that policy.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » March 16th, 2017, 10:18 am

Not sure when the policy was implemented but it's been a long time. I've got no dividend this year because all my purchases have been on the outlet side and you don't get dividend for discounted items.

I'm still really considering the BeFree filter...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 16th, 2017, 10:59 am

Aimless wrote:
Webfoot wrote:you don't get a dividend on any purchases made using the dividend.
When was this policy instituted? It certainly was not the case many years ago, when I was quite poor and kept very close track of my dividend. Back then any purchase made of non-discounted items resulted in a dividend. (NB: using the 20% off coupon counts as a discount.) I am not aware of any recent changes to that policy.
I don't know, and I may be mistaken. I probably asked about it some years ago and that was my interpretation of what I was told. I am going to contact REI live support right now and ask about this.

I contacted support and I was in fact mistaken. I have edited my first post above to strike out my fallacious statement and report what I was told.