What gear do you wish existed?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
acorn woodpecker

Re: What gear do you wish existed?

Post by acorn woodpecker » January 23rd, 2018, 10:17 pm

I'm in disbelief that nobody has mentioned an inflatable helicopter.

Limey

Post by Limey » January 23rd, 2018, 10:59 pm

Right now I'd settle for a cloaking device so I could explore Bull Run and other places that are off limits.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 24th, 2018, 5:50 am

waterproof and breathable.... and doesn't blow away in the wind :)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 24th, 2018, 11:18 am

The equipment in this film clip would prove useful: Skip to 3:20 for the best part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PRxN-KNqLs

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » January 25th, 2018, 3:43 pm

I'm looking for a day pack that combines the features found in several but apparently not found together.

I need a lot of organization. The best packs I've found for this are 5.11 Tactical's Rush 12 and Rush 24 but being tactical packs they are incredibly heavy for their size. Next up is Badlands' Reactor which is quite light and has a lot of organization for smaller things but not quite enough volume for general use. Something along the lines of Kelty's Redwing 32 with the waist belt slightly higher and more individual pockets and pouches inside would be pretty close.

Since that seems a pipe dream, perhaps dehydrated water? It would sure save weight. Just add H20 when you get thirsty.
- Tom

Lurch

Post by Lurch » January 30th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Tom of the Woods wrote:Just add H20 when you get thirsty.
I think that's just an empty nalgene..
Tom of the Woods wrote: I need a lot of organization. The best packs I've found for this are 5.11 Tactical's Rush 12 and Rush 24 but being tactical packs they are incredibly heavy for their size. Next up is Badlands' Reactor which is quite light and has a lot of organization for smaller things but not quite enough volume for general use. Something along the lines of Kelty's Redwing 32 with the waist belt slightly higher and more individual pockets and pouches inside would be pretty close.
You may want to look at Coaxsher, or True North who produce a lot of wildland fire gear. It's fairly modular and customizable by design.

If you're truly seeking full OCD with many smaller compartments, I would suggest finding a decent clamshell medical bag

Alternatively you could grab a medical pack insert, that is its own clamshell designed to be yanked out of another pack fully contained.

Tom of the Woods

Post by Tom of the Woods » January 30th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Excellent! I'll bookmark those and do some research. Thank you ...
- Tom

Charley

Post by Charley » January 30th, 2018, 4:06 pm

I wish a company would make rain gear with fabrics that fit the need for each separate part of the garment.

For instance, I'd love to see a rain jacket with...
A. non-breathable fabric shoulders (the shoulders are the most exposed part of our torso, and are upstream of every other part of the torso; sturdy non-breathable material be waterproof longer, and would better resist the entry of water under the pressure of shoulder straps),
B. generous zippered pit zips,
C. breathable material along the back, front, and sides.

Right now, I can get breathable jackets that fall apart at the shoulders in less than a year, or I can get non-breathable jackets, which last longer and cost less, but only really breath if you leave the front zipper open. It's such a no-brainer. I feel like a crazy person because "WHY CAN'T THE CLOTHING COMPANIES SEE THIS???"

I'd settle for a non-breathable rain jacket that has an athletic fit and pit zips, but I've yet to see one in a store.

Similarly, I'd love to find rain pants that have a non-breathable seat and non-breathable chaps-shaped front. The rest typically doesn't get that wet, whether I'm riding or hiking, and I bet the clothing would breath better if it had breathable fabric in those other areas.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

pcg

Post by pcg » January 30th, 2018, 5:12 pm

I'd like an insulated jacket/sweater with no insulation on the back. I have a pack for that. I'm tired of my back sweating even when the rest of me is cold.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » February 3rd, 2018, 1:37 pm

pcg wrote:I'd like an insulated jacket/sweater with no insulation on the back. I have a pack for that. I'm tired of my back sweating even when the rest of me is cold.
Take a look at the Outdoor Reseach Deviator jacket - insulated in the front but not in the arms or back. I've seen some other manufacturers copying this same idea.