gloves for bushwhacking/scrambling

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Chip Down

gloves for bushwhacking/scrambling

Post by Chip Down » March 27th, 2017, 6:11 pm

In a TR thread, Don asked what gloves I wear for offtrail hikes (bushwhacking/scrambling/whatever).
Sometimes nothing, but I usually regret it. Scrapes and filth, and my hands seem a bit dry and rough for a few days.

Three categories:
- If it's really cold, I wear my mountain gloves. No more needs to be said.
- For this time of year, when I don't really need insulation, I wear rubber-coated stretchy knit nylon gloves (see pics below). Not waterproof at all, so they get soppy when it's wet. Excellent grip enhancement for rope, axe, rocks, whatever. Good durability.
- In the summer, I wear cheap light cotton gloves and spray them with permethrin. They're sometimes sold as "inspection gloves". My favorites are "pallbearers gloves", cheap enough to throw away, but slightly heavier and durable enough to maybe get a few wearings before they fail.

I've been meaning to pick up something for really wet days. Maybe something in the gardening section? The dilemma is anything waterproof will get miserably sweaty, so there's probably no perfect glove.

Please share your tips, tell us what you use when it's warm enough that all you want is protection and grip.
Attachments
20170327_184149.jpg
20170327_184119.jpg

texasbb

Re: gloves for bushwhacking/scrambling

Post by texasbb » March 28th, 2017, 5:54 am

I'm amazed you get any benefit at all out of pall bearer's gloves. I'd expect them to allow everything sharp to come right through, but be slippery on the surfaces you want to grab. Interesting. (And probably a bit formal for my taste. :lol:)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 28th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Thanks for the analysis. much appreciated.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Crusak

Post by Crusak » March 30th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Great topic! I just purchased a pair of THESE from Amazon for hiking in weather that doesn't require insulated (warm) gloves. I wore them on my last hike (a short 8 mile trek) and they were very comfortable. These gloves have the features I've been looking for: breathable, protective, good grip and not too expensive.

I think these gloves will work well on off-trail trips or trips that require some scrambling (and places where hand protection is a good idea). I plan to buy another pair.

Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

forester

Post by forester » April 3rd, 2017, 7:59 pm

I will often use the knit top/rubber palm gloves. They are in a few sections, including gardening. There are a lot of different variations where the rubber is thicker or whatever. I tend to favor the versions with more finger flexibility (usually gardening over fishing). My reasons for using these is that they are thick enough to prevent most sharp brush from penetrating and they are also very cheap. At ~$5/pair, they are almost disposable.

There are other options in the gardening section that are solid as well as waterproof, but they're $30/pair, which is more than I'm willing to spend.