GPS?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Ginchy

GPS?

Post by Ginchy » March 24th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Well the REI dividend season is upon us and I'm looking to upgrade my GPS situation. I currently have a first gen Garmin Fenix. It's a great GPS watch that captures my movements but I'm looking for something that I can load other people's GPS tracks on to if I want to following their hike. Price isn't much of a factor but I'd prefer to not spend $500 out of pocket.

What GPS do you have? Do you love it or hate it?

Touch screen or buttons? I like the idea of buttons but I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary?

Garmin 64 - REI has two versions. The ST is $100 more but comes preloaded with some maps. Is there another difference I'm missing?
https://www.rei.com/product/869473/garmin-gpsmap-64-gps
https://www.rei.com/product/869475/garm ... p-64st-gps

Garmin Etrex 30x bundle - definitely cheap considering with the 20% off & my dividend it would be free. Anyone loving this one?
https://www.rei.com/product/895025/garm ... opo-bundle

Garmin Oregon 600t - another nice looking one. More expensive but my out of pocket would be low...
https://www.rei.com/product/855742/garm ... n-600t-gps

Opinions?

Koda

Re: GPS?

Post by Koda » March 24th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Ginchy wrote:I currently have a first gen Garmin Fenix. It's a great GPS watch that captures my movements but I'm looking for something that I can load other people's GPS tracks on to if I want to following their hike. Price isn't much of a factor but I'd prefer to not spend $500 out of pocket.

Opinions?
have you considered using your smartphone?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ense&hl=en
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 24th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Ginchy wrote:Garmin 64 - REI has two versions. The ST is $100 more but comes preloaded with some maps. Is there another difference I'm missing?
There's also an in-between model, the 64s. It has a barometric altimeter, which the 64 lacks. It's up to you whether or not to pay the extra $50 for the altimeter, but do NOT pay extra for the 64st's built-in maps; you can get good free maps online.

But, like Koda said, ask yourself if you might be able to get away with just using your phone. Usually, dedicated GPS units have better accuracy (especially in terms of elevation, if you have the barometer), but feature-wise, the smartphone apps are just as good.

Personally, I always carry both my phone AND my Garmin 64. The chances of BOTH of them failing are pretty small.

Ginchy

Post by Ginchy » March 25th, 2017, 11:15 am

Thank you for the input.

I have used my phone in the past but I would rather not continue to do so. I prefer to keep it turned off to save the battery just in case. On that note I'm also ok with a map and compass should I get lost, I just like having a gadget to keep tracks and I'd like to follow others too.

Good thing to note about the altimeter - for me it's something I like to have and worth a few bucks. Especially when I can pay so little out of pocket to begin with.

I'm sure most of the GPS units are nice and would work ok for me. I just know so little about them that I'm unsure which one to get. I'd rather keep it for a long time than have to replace in the next couple of years so I'm just going back and forth a lot. I think I'm leaning toward the 64s as I have been seeing a lot of reviews that the signal is much better due to the external antenna.

If anyone else has any opinions I'm open to hearing everything! lol

Koda

Post by Koda » March 25th, 2017, 11:37 am

Ginchy wrote:If anyone else has any opinions I'm open to hearing everything! lol
I would stick with Garmin personally...

I don't know if its still and issue but it was with certain older high end Garmins... make certain it has a built in electronic compass. Some did not, I had two friends that got models without one... you literally had to be walking before it would correctly display your bearing. They both sold theirs over the issue. Store reps are clueless about this, especially if your looking at an expensive higher end unit. It is has one, it will say so on the package. If it doesn't say, it doesn't, no matter what the store rep tells you.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2017, 11:45 am

I've been using Garmin 60 for years, similar to 64 but obsolete

You can download Oregon, Washington, some of Idaho and California from switchbacks.com. Other sites for other areas. Detailed USGS maps. Switchbacks also has actual trail locations rather than old ones from usgs maps

Some day I'll retire Garmin and switch to smartphone.

carry a USB power supply. Anker 10,000 mah is good for a couple charges of smartphone. 8 ounces. $20?

Ginchy

Post by Ginchy » March 25th, 2017, 11:46 am

Garmin does seem to be a great choice for reliability (my dad says Garmin only!) and aftermarket (free) maps.

I also just found out the 20% off does not apply to anything with GPS capability so that blows.

Ginchy

Post by Ginchy » March 25th, 2017, 11:47 am

retired jerry wrote:I've been using Garmin 60 for years, similar to 64 but obsolete

You can download Oregon, Washington, some of Idaho and California from switchbacks.com. Other sites for other areas. Detailed USGS maps. Switchbacks also has actual trail locations rather than old ones from usgs maps

Some day I'll retire Garmin and switch to smartphone.

carry a USB power supply. Anker 10,000 mah is good for a couple charges of smartphone. 8 ounces. $20?

My biggest problem is I seem to be prone to breaking my phone screen, case or no case. Thing seems to go flying out of my hand.

Koda

Post by Koda » March 25th, 2017, 11:51 am

the maps for the smartphones are all free and unlimited topo, city and street maps world wide.

I just dont get the value in a dedicated GPS device... but stick with Garmin if you go that route.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 25th, 2017, 12:48 pm

how much does it cost to replace the phone screen?

or do you just buy a new one?