Delorme Support Websites Pulled by Garmin??

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Koda

Re: Delorme Support Websites Pulled by Garmin??

Post by Koda » March 20th, 2017, 9:06 am

RobFromRedland wrote:This is interesting, because I also have compared tracks from my phone to my Garmin 60csx, and found them to be comparable.
IIRC the last time this subject came up here we learned that the X and Y accuracy was comparable but it was the Z (altitude) accuracy that suffered because the smartphones do not have a barametric pressure sensor to determine precise altitude.

If that's still true, not certain what the ramifications are when really needed? as long as the X&Y are accurate you can easily see your altitude on the topo map or use an ABC watch for altitude.

I do agree there are more issues with smartphone GPS navigation than a dedicated GPS device but I don't see the frequency of those issues actually being a problem. Sometimes I have to reboot my phone in the field, rarely though. Battery life is easily augmented in the field with airplane mode, not certain why that's still an issue for so many people my guess is they have other phone apps running in the background that hog the battery (happened to me once so...)

The deal is, I have long felt that the dedicated GPS devices are way overblown expensive for what they are and the new phone technology proved that. Let Garmin die off for that reason they (and others) have been and continue to rip us off with their gadgets for years. A dedicated device doesn't need to be so complicated as they are, I can see spending maybe $100 for one tops, maybe $150 to $200 for one with a built in 2 way radio (which Garmin has some kind of monopoly on...). But I have no sympathy for Garmin with the prices they have charged over the years.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 20th, 2017, 10:07 am

Koda wrote:
RobFromRedland wrote:This is interesting, because I also have compared tracks from my phone to my Garmin 60csx, and found them to be comparable.
IIRC the last time this subject came up here we learned that the X and Y accuracy was comparable but it was the Z (altitude) accuracy that suffered because the smartphones do not have a barametric pressure sensor to determine precise altitude.
Things are changing, indeed. My new Galaxy S7 has the barometer built-in, and uses GLONASS in addition to GPS. Incredible X/Y accuracy compared to my older GPS-only Garmin! But the problem on phones, if you actually want usable data, is finding an app that can spit that out. So far, the only one I've found that actually attempts this is Alpine Quest. The barometric damping is phenomenal! But sadly, that algorithm remains trapped within the app, so while I can get a much improved number for EG directly from the app, there's no way to export the smoothed track. Just the original data. :/
Koda wrote:I do agree there are more issues with smartphone GPS navigation than a dedicated GPS device but I don't see the frequency of those issues actually being a problem. Sometimes I have to reboot my phone in the field, rarely though. Battery life is easily augmented in the field with airplane mode, not certain why that's still an issue for so many people my guess is they have other phone apps running in the background that hog the battery (happened to me once so...)
Yeah, shooting "just" a dozen 360s can quickly drain a phone battery. Using it as the main camera as well, ...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

pablo

Post by pablo » March 27th, 2017, 9:43 pm

I'm inclined to think Garmin wanted one thing from DeLorme and that was the InReach sat technology. I have a DeLorme PN-40 that I don't like, can't give away, with a screen that is hard to read, crappy battery life, and proprietary file formats - I won't be missing their GPSrs.

InReach is a different story, imagine the Garmin Rhino with InReach technology. Any number of people spread all over the place with everyone knowing each others location on a dynamic map and the ability to 2-way sat text everyone in the group (and anyone else on the planet for that matter). 24x7 from pretty much anywhere Iridium works.

I purchased the new Garmin Inreach+ to replace my DeLorme Inreach which had a busted GPS (sat still worked but no location on messages). It is nice, still very much a DeLorme product with added touches by Garmin like the form factor and the back clip which will take Garmin attachments like the belt clip. Has a nice set of DeLorme maps included (still can't add your own) and is actually useful as a GPS. It has a built in battery that can't be removed but battery life is incredible. There is a subscription required but not expensive.

Too bad about the forums.

I might do a review of the Garmin Inreach+, I like it a lot and it is a useful GPS in addition to the sat texting. I'm looking forward to the next iteration, it could be something really neat.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 28th, 2017, 5:45 am

that's what's so confusing to me, some people's experience is dedicated GPSes take better tracks, but others not

Can you even buy a car these days that doesn't come with a (Garmin) GPS?

yeah, Garmin is a poorly run company. the back cover on my GPS broke, this thin little piece of plastic. I called them. They said they'd send me a new cover for $35. I fixed it with epoxy and a sawed off nail. I thought they should have just sent me one for free.

Koda

Post by Koda » March 28th, 2017, 6:07 am

retired jerry wrote:that's what's so confusing to me, some people's experience is dedicated GPSes take better tracks, but others not
I dont vet this either. Yes, weve learned that a dedicated device is "more precise" in the z axis only..... Who care? Why does this matter?

That and the fact you get virtually any mapset free with a phone app vs 1 crappy proprietary map for another $100 or so

Guy

Post by Guy » March 28th, 2017, 6:16 am

retired jerry wrote:that's what's so confusing to me, some people's experience is dedicated GPSes take better tracks, but others not

yeah, Garmin is a poorly run company. the back cover on my GPS broke, this thin little piece of plastic. I called them. They said they'd send me a new cover for $35. I fixed it with epoxy and a sawed off nail. I thought they should have just sent me one for free.
I believe my Galaxy 7 to be as accurate as my Garmin 60csx. The main reason I still prefer it over just using my phone is the always on screen. It's easy to glance at as you hike along. I find the extra step of activating the phone screen on the galaxy each time & want to glance at it annoying. Also I can't put Eric's map set on the phone.

I always preferred Garmin because of the ease of saving in open GPX Format & the ability to add free Maps. Delorme kept everything proprietary. Also friends with Delorme always seemed to run through batteries much faster than I did.

Agree about their crappy post sales service, Sony is like that too, I've always liked their cameras but they will screw you if you need any service after the warranty runs out.

Yes we recently did :)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 28th, 2017, 6:19 am

there are still lots of good downloadable dedicated GPS maps like switchbacks.com

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 28th, 2017, 7:13 am

Koda wrote:
I dont vet this either. Yes, weve learned that a dedicated device is "more precise" in the z axis only..... Who care? Why does this matter?
Naw... You gotta look at what satellites any unit (phone or dedicated) is using. Most newer units support GLONASS in addition to GPS. If you're comparing a 4yo "dedicated" unit that only does GPS, sure, it's gonna be inferior to a unit that also supports GLONASS. (Ones supporting Galileo will ratchet it up yet another notch!) The elevation readings are terrible no matter what. But, some units can "dampen" the wild swings using a barometer. I know of one phone app that takes advantage of this capability, but nearly all mid- to higher-end standalones do. Who cares? Someone who wants to know how much climbing they did. Duh, huh? ;)
Karl

Koda

Post by Koda » March 28th, 2017, 9:01 am

Ive never hiked or climbed for any other purpose than the recreation of it so its hard for me to understand the need for super precision elevation tracking, but I agree if recording a numerical goal is what one is into then yeah a precision unit is better...

But $500 better... ?

Ok, Ill try to let it go... Maybe. :p

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 28th, 2017, 9:57 am

Koda wrote:Ive never hiked or climbed for any other purpose than the recreation of it so its hard for me to understand the need for super precision elevation tracking, but I agree if recording a numerical goal is what one is into then yeah a precision unit is better...
Okay, yesterday we did a couple loops around Silver Falls... My (barometric-damped) Garmin reported 1700' EG. My phone exported a track that had recorded 7000' EG!!! :lol: But the phone app also reported, after running the dampening algorithm that it thought we had 1300' EG. (I think that last number, far from super-precise, might nonetheless be closest to reality.) Oh, and the X/Y was much better from the phone, too, since it's 5 years newer than the (pre-GLONASS) Garmin.
Karl