Delorme Support Websites Pulled by Garmin??

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
kepPNW

Re: Delorme Support Websites Pulled by Garmin??

Post by kepPNW » March 28th, 2017, 3:01 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:Thank you. Good to know. I like what I'm hearing (rumors) on the S8, but it may be rather expensive. Depending on what they actually release, I think I will either end up with an S7 or an S8. Battery life will be a factor too. I'm not crazy about the battery life on my S6, but I get around it by having a 10,000 mah external battery. The really cool thing is that I will have a microSD slot!

I like my phone way better than my 60csx - mostly due to a better/larger screen, more features and the ability to load useful maps to it. The maps on the 60csx were terrible, and I never wanted to shell out for the expensive 100k or 24k maps for it.
Happy to share what I know. I'll have to look at the S8 speculations, though having an S7 maybe I shouldn't. Heh... I moved from an S4, and the battery life is far better now, but it's no longer replaceable. :roll: First thing I did was pop a 64GB card into the slot, yep! If I could get as good a track from my phone as my Garmin (Oregon 450), I'd definitely want to go/stay there. But the damn phone is used for other things while out, too, which impacts the battery and I really hate re-charging on the go. Superb free map for the entire PNW at switchbacks.com for your older 60csx. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 28th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Incidentally I use OruxMaps on Android. Anyone else?

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 28th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Koda wrote:Attached is a gps track that's still in my phone but all off trail. BCN says its "altitude gain" (EG) is 1548'. Id be interested to see if BCN is using an alithogram to smooth out the EG reading from the actual?

yurt 201703030328.gpx
They're definitely using some sort of algorithm, because the "raw" numbers for that file are 3106' up and 3185' down. Using DEM data, I get 1864'. Using lower-resolution DEM data, I get 1715'. And Google Earth says 1960'.

Here's something interesting... In GE, I just drew a big spiral in the Bonneville Salt Flats: 807 trackpoints total. Then I artificially added elevations to each point, alternating between 1287m (ground level) and 1307m.

The raw elevation gain from this silliness comes out to 403 x 20m = 8060 meters (26,444'). BackCountry Navigator reports 1026'. (And the REAL elevation gain, of course, would be somewhere near zero.)

Strava says this: "Elevation gain is calculated by summing up all gains in an activity, where a gain is defined as the difference between a low point and a high point. We detect peaks to determine high points and a gain must exceed a threshold in order to be counted."

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 29th, 2017, 6:02 am

adamschneider wrote:Here's something interesting... In GE, I just drew a big spiral in the Bonneville Salt Flats: 807 trackpoints total. Then I artificially added elevations to each point, alternating between 1287m (ground level) and 1307m.

The raw elevation gain from this silliness comes out to 403 x 20m = 8060 meters (26,444'). BackCountry Navigator reports 1026'. (And the REAL elevation gain, of course, would be somewhere near zero.)
Real life opportunity for anyone to test their own GPS... Just go walk a few laps around a high school track. For kicks, and to determine to what degree how/where you carry the unit affects results, reverse direction a time or three.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » April 6th, 2017, 12:45 pm

adamschneider wrote:
Here's something interesting... In GE, I just drew a big spiral in the Bonneville Salt Flats: 807 trackpoints total. Then I artificially added elevations to each point, alternating between 1287m (ground level) and 1307m.

I guess the other question is do we want the GPS to tell us the overall elevation gain between A & B or the cumulative elevation gained over a hike even if A & B are at the same elevation. For me it would be the latter.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Lurch

Post by Lurch » April 6th, 2017, 1:30 pm

You need to be careful with what software / system you're using. There's a difference between elevation gain, and climbing. Some may word them different and make it confusing.

The Gain is going to be +/- relative to your start position, everything in between is ignored.

Climbing would essentially include any time you're going up hill. (or Descending for downhill)

If your track starts at a hypothetical 0, you go up a 200' hill, down 200' on the other side, then turn around and come back over the hill, you will have a net elevation gain of 0, since you're starting and ending at the same point. You'll have 400' of climbing, 400' of descending, and a peak / max elevation of 200'

Guy

Post by Guy » April 6th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Lurch wrote:You need to be careful with what software / system you're using. There's a difference between elevation gain, and climbing. Some may word them different and make it confusing.

The Gain is going to be +/- relative to your start position, everything in between is ignored.

Climbing would essentially include any time you're going up hill. (or Descending for downhill)

If your track starts at a hypothetical 0, you go up a 200' hill, down 200' on the other side, then turn around and come back over the hill, you will have a net elevation gain of 0, since you're starting and ending at the same point. You'll have 400' of climbing, 400' of descending, and a peak / max elevation of 200'
Yes agreed it's a terminology thing Lurch, myself and I think most hikers are interested in what climbing we did on a hike but often refer to it as elevation gain.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 6th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Guy wrote:I guess the other question is do we want the GPS to tell us the overall elevation gain between A & B or the cumulative elevation gained over a hike even if A & B are at the same elevation. For me it would be the latter.
I think we pretty much always want the latter. The former is just one number minus another number, and you don't need a device to calculate it! And yes, it can go by different names, but "elevation gain" (or "cumulative elevation gain") is the one most commonly used.

I think, in making improvements to GPS Visualizer, I'm probably going to go with a threshold-based algorithm. It might not be perfect, but it's easy to calculate and easy to understand.

alpinista55

Post by alpinista55 » April 24th, 2017, 11:54 am

I use my iPhone and the Gaia app for GPS navigation in the back country, and carry a DeLorme InReach SE for tracking and two-way comms with home base. I use the iPhone for navigation, taking photos, recording short videos, nighttime reading, and music. I carry a 24,000 mah external battery that will recharge both devices multiple times and have always had power to spare after 8 and 10 day backpacks. As of iPhone 6, it has a barometric sensor.

I don't usually record a track on multi-day trips. Since I build my maps using CalTopo, I pretty much know everything I need to know regarding distance and elevation gain/loss as long as I don't deviate from my planned route. I keep the iPhone in Airplane mode, and set up the phone to maximize battery life. Adventure Alan has a great web page on optimizing battery usage on your mobile device:

http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps ... ckpacking/