Lightweight, durable umbrellas?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
mjirving

Re: Lightweight, durable umbrellas?

Post by mjirving » June 14th, 2016, 10:03 pm

It works surprisingly well. I used it in the driving rain in Eagle Creek and it worked well. Everything from knees down doesn't stay dry really but that's not a big deal. If it's windy then all bets are off with any umbrella as they get blown around and/or inverted which is magnified even more when larger. Also, it's very difficult actually moving with a larger umbrella due to navigating through the surrounding brush. Unless you're in an open area you'd be surprised how hard it would be to move freely with a larger umbrella. I know this as I run into problems with that even with this smaller one. Plus, while it's worth it's weight in gold when needed, frankly it doesn't get a ton of use. There are actually a fair number of thru-hikers who stop carrying even this one as they don't seem the extra weight worth it. (It only weighs 7.7oz).

Give it a go...I think that in practice you'll find it to be the perfect compromise.

Mike

Rancid9999

Post by Rancid9999 » June 15th, 2016, 2:49 pm

I'm from Oregon, what are umbrellas?

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 15th, 2016, 4:01 pm

I'm with you on that, but on the trail they are pretty awesome in making he experience a little less hypothermic. :-)

What I really like about them is that I don't have to put on a jacket in the rain as I hate sweating in a jacket as none are really breathable when you're exerting yourself while hiking.

Mike

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » June 15th, 2016, 5:12 pm

I'm tellin' ya, umbrella hat is the way to go, as long as you don't care about funny looks:

Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 15th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Nice! Keeps the aliens away too as a secondary benefit. ;-)

Does it affix to your head somehow? What about wind? Seems like a light gust would send it flying. Does it come with a good chin strap? :-)

-Q-

Post by -Q- » June 15th, 2016, 8:27 pm

Regarding brush vs a larger umbrella.
I actually find a larger umbrella helpful with brush, as I use the umbrella almost like a plow. I just bull through the brush with the umbrella held out in front of me. Keeps many a wet leaf away. Branches must be handled with more care.

Interesting how we umbrella users have such varied opinions on use. I love it!!

Not having to wear a jacket is the best.
Although I still have my jacket in my kit 12 months a year to be safe. Mainly I use it for wind, not rain.

An inverted umbrella due to wind almost never happens to me. If anything, the umbrella collapses under wind. If held properly, inverting should be rare.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 15th, 2016, 8:41 pm

Agreed...I still keep the jacket with me 12mo/yr too. I rarely wear
more than my windbreaker on-trail but I wear my puffy in camp often with the windbreaker over top it.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » June 16th, 2016, 6:25 am

mjirving wrote:Does it affix to your head somehow? What about wind? Seems like a light gust would send it flying. Does it come with a good chin strap? :-)
There is an adjustable cloth ring that wraps around the head making the umbrella stay on very well. It will stay on in a light wind. No chin strap. Heavy brush can be a problem.

I find the best conditions are when it is raining, not very windy so the rain falls straight down, and a trail that is not overgrown. Also if it is hot and sunny with low wind.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » August 31st, 2016, 7:21 pm

I use my umbrella often. Used it coming out of the Wallowas yesterday, for the sun, and used it today in the Gorge, for the rain. Get comments often when using it in the sun, such as "smart" and once, "brilliant"! :P

It's one of my most-used peices of hiking gear.
Kelly

Boot Up

Post by Boot Up » October 1st, 2016, 7:11 pm

Up until recently I was hiking western WA. Last couple of years started carrying umbrellas for hiking, as did my hiking buddy. He bought a Go-lite and it only lasted a couple of hikes before breaking. They are extremely delicate.

No umbrella works in a strong wind, which doesn't matter because the rain blows under it anyway, and that is why you bring rain gear. They are nice for sheltered area or those steady drizzles or downpours. We saved a few slogfests and were the envy of many on the trails of those hikes with umbrellas. They are also good for sun parched hikes. My hiking buddy was the envy of many on a hot summer day on Mt St Helens. I have not used mine in the sun yet.

I bought the Lewis N. Clark Compact & Lightweight Travel Umbrella from Amazon for about $15, a fraction of the price of the go-lite, and it only weighs 10 ounces, and has held up better than the go-lite, and comes in colors. In fact it sort of looks like it might be the same as a golite, but with different branding. Not positive about that though.

My hiking buddy switched to a huge, heavy golf umbrella. He chooses function over weight.

I moved to Bend Oregon. What is an umbrella? :D
Friluftsliv