Butane canisters

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Twistedlarch

Butane canisters

Post by Twistedlarch » April 23rd, 2016, 7:09 pm

How long do those butane canisters last? I'll be cooking for myself and two young boys. I also have a small lantern that screws onto them.

Thanks!
Brian

Aimless

Re: Butane canisters

Post by Aimless » April 24th, 2016, 10:32 am

This is a more complicated question than you might think.

It partly depends on whether you're running your stove at full blast or on simmer. It partly depends on the air temperature, because canisters are less efficient in cold conditions. It partly depends on how much wind there is, because if the wind is blowing away much of the heat you are trying to direct at the bottom of your cook pot, whatever is in the pot will take longer to heat up. It partly depends on which model of stove you attach to the canister. A very rough rule of thumb is that an 8 oz canister will run for about an hour at full throttle, but you should take that estimate with a considerable grain of salt.

As you use your canister stove and lantern more, you will learn how long a canister lasts for your own typical use, which might be very different from that of someone else who attempts to answer your question here.

Twistedlarch

Post by Twistedlarch » April 25th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Aimless wrote:This is a more complicated question than you might think.

It partly depends on whether you're running your stove at full blast or on simmer. It partly depends on the air temperature, because canisters are less efficient in cold conditions. It partly depends on how much wind there is, because if the wind is blowing away much of the heat you are trying to direct at the bottom of your cook pot, whatever is in the pot will take longer to heat up. It partly depends on which model of stove you attach to the canister. A very rough rule of thumb is that an 8 oz canister will run for about an hour at full throttle, but you should take that estimate with a considerable grain of salt.

As you use your canister stove and lantern more, you will learn how long a canister lasts for your own typical use, which might be very different from that of someone else who attempts to answer your question here.

I guess for a 1 to 2 nighter I'll toss in two canisters, or 1 large one.

For the lantern, I'll light it up at home and see how long it last.

ofuros

Post by ofuros » April 25th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Buy an extra canister & experiment with it at home
before you go.....bring cold water to the boil in your pot,
repeat until you run out off gas.

Write down or memorize the results for future reference.
Gives you a rough idea for your given pot size.
Mountains view are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Twistedlarch

Post by Twistedlarch » April 25th, 2016, 7:24 pm

I think I'll bring some foil to act as a wind shield as well.

Thanks everyone! :)

Brian