Best gear for hiking in pouring rain and cold?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
SWriverstone

Best gear for hiking in pouring rain and cold?

Post by SWriverstone » March 12th, 2016, 9:12 am

Hi All:

Being new to the PNW, I'm still working out the best combination of gear for hiking in the pouring rain *and* cold. For example, let's say you're going to hike all day, and you know in advance it's going to rain nonstop all day, and you also know the high temp will be 40.

What do you wear?

I have a good idea already—waterproof/breathable is good. I'm looking more for specific gear recommendations:
• head covering (fleece? wide-brim Oregon Research hat?)
• jacket or parka (what kind has REALLY kept you dry?)
• waterproof/breathable pants (do you wear them? Or just not worry as much about your legs?)
• waterproof gloves? (or do you just not worry about your hands?)

And do you use a drybag with shoulder straps? A daypack with a rain cover?

Just seeking some experienced PNW knowledge. :-) I can't figure out if "real" PNWers just get wet and don't mind it? Or is there some tried-and-trusted way to actually stay dry in conditions like this?

Thanks!
Scott

PS - Just to clarify: I'm an experienced hiker/backpacker, so I understand outdoor gear and layering. What's new for me here is the need to gear up for NONSTOP rain—all day—in cold weather. That's new to me. I've lived in the east my whole life...where nonstop rain is rare. So I'm accustomed to planning for short periods of rain...but not the relentless kind that just never stops...

kepPNW

Re: Best gear for hiking in pouring rain and cold?

Post by kepPNW » March 12th, 2016, 9:42 am

I don't think keeping dry all day is possible in those conditions. Stuff just soaks through. So I prefer not to set myself up to wet-out from the inside before it happens from the outside.

I'll put on a "waterproof-breathable" shell of some sort, over all synthetic, "quick-drying", "wicking" clothes. And really, really good wool socks. Usually, I don't like hoods, because of how they restrict vision and hearing, so I'll either wear a broad-ish brimmed hat or just a baseball cap. My favorite "gloves" are some of those fingerless mitten types. Ironically, and fortuitously, the rain cover on my pack seems to be the most waterproof thing I wear...
    24 miles, 35-40°F all day, constant precipitation.
    Pretty much the same theme in this "wintry mix."
    But really, on days like this... When the damplitude is turned to 11... Just embrace the wetness!
I think the key is to "Just. Keep.. Moving...!" That, and a good base layer up top, seems to keep the core heat. And be sure to bring a complete change of your most comfy clothes, the kind you'd put on to watch a football game when you have a serious cold, to change into when you get back to the trailhead. Riding home cold and wet is no way to end an otherwise great day. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » March 12th, 2016, 9:56 am

I don’t think its possible to stay totally dry either. But one thing that worked very well for me in wet and cold temps was to put a thin UL synthetic puffy layer over my base or intermediate layer top, under the outer goretex parka. It wicked any sweat and moisture away from my skin/upper body preserving warmth and kept me drier than without. There is something about that layering combination, in those kind of conditions, that makes a difference.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2016, 9:58 am

Thin nylon pants and long sleeve shirt, waterproof/breathable jacket - as long as possible and big around to let air flow to minimize sweat. Open zipper if the rain doesn't blow in.

Often, I can stay dry. Plan B is that it won't take too long for the nylon pants/shirt to dry.

My backpack is fairly waterproof.

That's what I do currently

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2016, 10:02 am

The only time I need a mid layer (synthetic vest) is if it's maybe below 25 F and windy. Otherwise I'll sweat.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 12th, 2016, 10:05 am

retired jerry wrote:The only time I need a mid layer (synthetic vest) is if it's maybe below 25 F and windy. Otherwise I'll sweat.
Yeah, my UL puffy only tends to come out at longer stops or when going downhill, and only in near- or sub-freezing temps.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2016, 10:10 am

another strategy for regulating heat is to walk faster or slower

I remember climbing Cascade volcanoes with large groups. Always wanted to make extended stops. People fiddling with stuff. Annoyed me. I just wanted to continue. I got cold.

Rather than stopping just walk slower. Make very brief stops.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 12th, 2016, 11:34 am

In my experience when the outer surface of a waterproof-breathable jacket is entirely wetted it prevents the breathable membrane from passing water vapor from the inside to the surrounding air. All the little pores are blocked by external water. So, no matter how breathable it is in theory, the reality is I need to manage perspiration just as if the material were old-fashioned PU-coated nylon. That means ventilation, like using pit zips and opening the collar as much as I can get away with. It means layering in a way that isolates the wetted inside of my rain clothes from my skin. Koda's use of a fleece layer between his base and his jacket works well for me, too. And, if you don't use two trekking poles, try an umbrella. I like them for the ventilation they allow me. On very wet days I wear rain pants and might even put plastic bags over my socks.

Incidentally, because of all the physical activity when I hike uphill, I find that when it's wet and cold (~40 degrees) it's actually much easier to stay a reasonable temperature than when it's wet and just moderately cool (~55 degrees). My biggest annoyance is keeping my glasses from fogging up on me from the warm damp air rising out of my open collar. :(

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 12th, 2016, 12:37 pm

pit zips never seemed very useful to me - not enough cross section area to let enough air out to matter much

if it's not too windy/wet then opening the front zipper helps. Much bigger area to vent. It's like having no jacket against half my body.

yeah, if it's too rainy, the outer surface wets out and then there's no breathability. But, when it stops raining, it'll start working again. Not a perfect solution but the best available.

Umbrella isn't a bad idea. I use that occasionally. Works pretty good when it's not too windy and there aren't obstructions to run into, like through trees.

Koda

Post by Koda » March 12th, 2016, 12:45 pm

my guess is the reason the puffy layer under the outer shell works better is when the outer shell gets saturated the puffy layer creates a positive pressure that forces vapor thru the membrane past the water saturation barrier clogging up the membrane pores on the outside. The thin puffy coats are a thicker dead airspace than the fleece, synthetic or wool baselayers against the body.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2