Water Filtration

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Tamey

Water Filtration

Post by Tamey » August 31st, 2015, 2:56 pm

I have been watching youtube videos, and listening to other hikers on what type of water filtration they use while on the trail. As of yet I have not really decided on any brand of water filtration.
The one that keeps coming out on the top of my list is called ARIXX by Puritii.
The reason I like it more than others Ive investigated is that it not only clean out Bacteria, it also cleans out viruses. Also, it seems to be easy to use in that its just a water bottle and not a filtered hose I have to put into some water source and pump the water into yet another bottle.

You can see the video of it here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAiKdkeKE94

or: http://puritii.com/water/index.html

If anyone has any advice on the lightest, and most effective water filtration system, I am ready to listen.

Thanks
T

Koda

Re: Water Filtration

Post by Koda » August 31st, 2015, 3:18 pm

Tamey wrote:If anyone has any advice on the lightest, and most effective water filtration system, I am ready to listen.
The Sawyer Mini

works the same way as the ARIXX except you can use larger containers from any company. I'd be willing to bet the Sawyer mini is much lighter than the ARIXX by a large margin. To be fair the Sawyer doesn't filter viruses.... but we don't have viruses in our waters here.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

texasbb

Post by texasbb » August 31st, 2015, 3:31 pm

The Sawyer doesn't catch viruses if that matters to you. It doesn't matter to most folks unless they're hiking outside the U.S. I love my Sawyer Mini coupled with an Evernew 2-liter dirty bag.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 31st, 2015, 5:29 pm

I use Sawyer Squeeze. Slightly heavier than Mini. Supposedly doesn't clog as easily. I'd probably get a Mini if I had to get a new one.

With both Squeeze and Mini, you can't let them freeze. If they do, it might be obvious, high flow rate, or it might be subtle.

You have to backflush at the end of each trip. Sometimes they clog, especially if you store it for months. Make sure and try it before each trip, and if the flow is low, backflush again. With warm water or vinegar if needed.

Steripen is another purifier that works pretty good. UV light. It works on viruses.

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » August 31st, 2015, 5:49 pm

I just switched to a sawyer mini from a Katadyn hiker. The Katadyn is way faster and is easier in low water levels but it is heavier and more expensive.

The sawyer is super light and can be attached to any standard water bottle. The pouch is tricky to fill in low water levels. A stiffer bottle might be easier to fill. I think it would clog fairly quickly in silty waters but it is easy to flush out. Also the sawyer is only like $20 for the filter, pouch, straw and flushing plunger.

As others have noted, virus level filtration isn't necessary with most sources.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » August 31st, 2015, 6:00 pm

I use the Sawyer Mini and am happy with that choice. As mentioned it won't filter out viruses, but viruses will not be a problem in backcountry use in the pacific northwest.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 31st, 2015, 6:22 pm

I cut off the bottom of a 1 liter soda bottle. Scoop water with that.

Used a Katadyn for years, but it's so heavy. And you need to have several inches of water to get it to work. My scoop will work with 1 inch deep, maybe, although that's difficult.

I also didn't like having to pump my evening's worth of water, 4 liters, all at one sitting, sometimes in an awkward spot.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » August 31st, 2015, 6:25 pm

Sawyer Mini fan here, too. It comes with me on all backpacking trips and all day trips.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

forester

Post by forester » September 1st, 2015, 6:48 pm

I have a Sawyer 3-Way on mine, the rest in the family are Sawyer Mini. All are inline spliced into Osprey hydration bladders. Just swoosh it through the water and it's ready to go. No complaints at all. Last time I had to fill up in a creek, there was dirt and needles and stuff floating all over. Tasted just like the filtered water in my fridge...

dfs1109

Post by dfs1109 » February 26th, 2016, 10:33 am

Which would be recommended, Sawyer Mini or the Steripen?
"Would you like an adventure now, or shall we have our tea first?" Peter Pan