REI 20% off coupon??

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
drm

Re: REI 20% off coupon??

Post by drm » February 1st, 2014, 8:35 am

It has been in late March, soon after rebates are announced, in recent years. And since I don't live close to any such store, usually I use it mail order if there happens to be something I want at REI. I replaced by 6-year-old Jetboil last Fall with it (I splurged and got the Sol titanium version) and got to use it a couple of times in Oct.

goingrouge

Post by goingrouge » February 1st, 2014, 10:23 am

I am generally insulted by 10% sales. That is like sales tax in most places. 20%, but with a caveat to buy it at Full MSRP is not too different. 20% off sales items too? Now we are getting somewhere. I cannot recall ever buying full price items in the last ten years. It is hard to buy off-season, but it really works. REI is great about returns, like the sunglasses that "didn't patina the way I expected," but generally is really good for trying stuff on I want to buy online. (Don't hate on me, I had spent thousands there in my lifetime!)
Here come the Daphnes, crocuses and daffodils!

Helen

Post by Helen » February 2nd, 2014, 8:51 pm

Yea, I just bought a ULA Catalyst backpack at Next Adventure for full price. Next Adventure didn't offer a discount, but at least they carried the brand in store. REI seems to carry heavy items. I don't like their selection of sleeping bags, backpacks or one person tents. But, I still like the 1 year return policy and the fact that they operate as a buyer owned store.

The advantage of living in Portland is that we have many places to shop for outdoor gear.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » February 2nd, 2014, 9:45 pm

REI does not carry the best or most innovative backpacking gear, which is very often gear produced by small cottage industry producers. However, I still use them for many items that I use while car camping, or for some kinds of hiking clothes or gear.

For example, to the best of my knowledge, there are no cutting edge, innovative cottage industry producers of nylon convertible pants or nylon baseball caps. REI has a decent selection so I usually buy mine there. My car camping tent is an REI brand tent. It is well made and exactly what I needed. I could get a Big Agnes Q-Core sleeping pad there, if I liked, and apply a 20% off coupon and a dividend to help buy it, too. I bought my PLB there.

It all boils down to what you want to buy, what it costs and how convenient it is to get ahold of it or to return it, if necessary. REI may not be the best place for everything, but it still occupies a useful niche in the market, even for backpackers like myself who appreciate a lightweight load. I just pick and choose with care. Telling people there is nothing worthwhile at REI is no more sensible than telling them to buy their whole outfit there.