Finally (backpack)!!

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
IslandCougGirl

Finally (backpack)!!

Post by IslandCougGirl » June 2nd, 2013, 11:58 pm

I have been wanting to start backpacking for a while but finding a good comfy pack for someone my height (5'3") has been challenging. I started with a Kelty Courser 45L which turned out to be too small for what I wanted to pack. I tried it out on a dayhike and it was so uncomfortable with the lumbar pad that it's going to a friend. I tried again with a bigger bag, a Kelty Lakota 70L which fit everything of course but had the same lumbar pad-no bueno. It was heavy to boot for what I wanted-I really want to keep as close to UL backpacking as I can. Soooooooo I finally decided on a Golite Jam 70 and the Kelty 70 went back to REI (thank you REI :D ). I packed up the new pack with everything I finally decided was to go (parred down duplicate stove options and such). Final pack weight with 2L of water was about 23 pounds which I am soooo happy with!! I packed about 4.5 pounds of food which I repackaged into freezer bags. The pack was so much more comfortable and I was glad to keep it down in total weight. Yayyyy!!! No for that first backpacking trip........Wenaha-Tucannon in 2 weeks!