DIY pump sack for Neo Air X-Therm

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
turtle

DIY pump sack for Neo Air X-Therm

Post by turtle » March 31st, 2013, 8:38 am

This also works for similar air mattresses from other companies. When I bought my X-Therm it came with a small gray storage sack/pump sack. The reason for the pump sack is so you don't put moist air into the pad which freezes the moisture in the winter temps. Over time this will cause damage to the pad. Some people just don't like getting light headed blowing up the pad the old fashioned way. The gray sack is useless; it took me a good 15 minutes to get the size medium pad half inflated. ThermaRest will sell you this pump sack which has multiple functions and pretty good reviews. There are also other pumps on the market.

Or you can remove the air tap at the bottom of the gray pump sack, cut the corner out of a garbage sack and install air tap with duct tape and end up with something like this.
P1000698 [640x480].JPG
If you don't have a gray sack to strip for parts buy this kit.

No tools required, so simple even I can do it. I fully inflated my X-Therm in 3 bags of air. It weighs right at 2 ozs.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit