In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
kepPNW

Re: In search of good hiking pants on a budget.

Post by kepPNW » November 20th, 2012, 1:51 pm

ForestKeeper wrote::( Sometimes it is really hard to find hiking pants, or any kind for that matter, because I wear a 40 (waist) 38 (inseam). The majority of all stores just carry an inseam of 32, rarely 34. Big & Tall stores have a lie in their title. It is big only. Just a side note: the Portland Outdoor Store, in downtown Portland, took a measurement of my head a few years ago (I bought a Tom Selleck cowboy hat, Tom Slick customized), my head is exactly 24 " around. I guess no one makes sizes for vikings anymore. ;)
Yowza, yeah, a 38 inseam has gotta be tough. I'd recommend prowling stores in the midwest for Viking-sized clothes. I know when I buy an XL there, it's just like an XXL here. One I love is Duluth Trading. Their copywriters absolutely rule! They definitely specialize in making room for guys in their clothes. (eg, "Ballroom Jeans", "Longtail T's" to "Solve Plumber's Butt!", hats for "Big-Headed Guys", etc.) Worth a browse when you're bored, even if you don't end up buying anything! ;)

(I'm wearing a pair of their firehose pants right now - love 'em!!! Not cheap, unfortunately, but there are sales.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » November 23rd, 2012, 3:03 am

REI and Next Adventure both have great deals on Black Friday items. REI is 50% OFF REI branded clothing....including hiking pants!
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » November 29th, 2012, 10:45 pm

A nice pair of light wool thrift shop dress slacks from the 60's have been my favored 3 season pants for years. Had the cuffs modified with velcro closures - total investment - $10 :D
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs

MultnomahVet

Post by MultnomahVet » December 2nd, 2012, 1:58 pm

Felt the need to mention something about the REI mini debate here or Gear Shopping etc:

In Regards to REI, If you know where to look in the store (Clearance), those of us that WISH (I mean I would love to get my hands on all that awesome gear they have but the prices WOW) can come away with some cool stuff.

At times, the Bridgeport village location though does SEEM (appearances though can be deceiving) to have quite a few of the more ..shall we say.."fortunate" of the population shopping there Vs. people like me who need to save quite a bit to get the "Really Good Stuff" at retail there. However, this is not to say that those more "fortunate" than others didn't get more "fortunate" by working their brains and buns off and thus it is their choice and ability to spend either more or less as they choose just a it is for anyone else to spend more or less. To each his own and within their means!

At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter where you shop, how much you spend or don't spend. whether you where a modified trash bag suit with pencil poked vents or Gordon Fisher-mans trawling gear or even "Star Trekish "super gear" in brilliant Super Nova Blue to get out and do what we all do. BUT, it DOES matter, the attitudes we take towards our collective love of the outdoors, the adventures we have (or hope to have or plan to have) and how we apply those attitudes (positive/supportive/community through commonality of our shared activity) towards each other. Always going forward with respect and friendship! Always with a reverence to keeping these amazing places we all post about, amazing and special for the next traveler coming down the trail as well as the interactions with those other travelers we meet along the way. Not to mention helping each other to learn and grow as we do so.

Multnomahvet

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and Many more to come to Everyone and Yours.

Multnomahvet