Opteka BP-SC4000 solar USB battery pack

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Koda

Opteka BP-SC4000 solar USB battery pack

Post by Koda » February 22nd, 2012, 12:47 pm

For those of you embracing the latest technology in outdoor electronics there are more and more options available for using smartphones for outdoor navigation, photography and other applications all in one unit. With my new Android phone, I have been using it on several hikes now for both GPS navigation (on and off trail) and camera and video. This technology is proving worthy and eliminating the need to carry multiple devices for the different needs but the main drawback here is battery life. Even as efficient as they are, one unit doing the work of two or more devices is going to consume the same power so to augment this I took interest in external battery storage devices. My criteria was mainly that it be small enough and light enough to warrant bringing along for that just in case insurance, Ideally I wanted something under ~8 ounces, stored at least 2x my device capacity, comparably the same size as the phone itself, under $50, and self contained (aside from the USB cable no other external batteries, solar panels etc.).

There are many options out there, but surprisingly all the ones dedicated to outdoor applications did not meet my criteria. My search led me to home in on two types 1) battery pack only, 2) battery pack with solar recharge. I eliminated a dedicated solar charger only (no battery) because I could not find any that fit my criteria. For the battery pack alone (1), the advantage here is their capacities are more than one that includes a solar charger for the same size. But once its used up its dead weight in the pack. These are ideal for most day hikes or short weekender trips depending on capacity. For the battery pack including a solar charger (2), the storage capacity is limited but the option to solar re-charge means this is ideal for long expeditions. The only downside to these (2) is most options I found that fit my criteria the solar panel is not large enough to efficiently recharge the unit. The search here in this category is more complicated, but I think I found a good compromise with one including a solar option.

My review is for the Opteka BP-SC4000 solar USB battery pack. The basics: 4000 mAh battery, 6.5 oz, 4.5" x 3.3" x 0.5" self contained unit. The only thing about this unit is it's regular price does not fit my criteria.... except I got mine on Amazon for only $36 including shipping. Currently it is on sale from the manufacturer for $49... regular price is $99.

After playing with this unit for a week now, it works and charges my cell phone efficiently. I have not yet completely drained my phone though, but charging sessions so far estimate it would in about 4 hours (my phones battery is 1800 mAh). Likewise, I estimate it takes about 4 hours to recharge the solar pack via USB but those sessions have been all interrupted but I'm happy enough to conclude. Solar recharge time I estimate at 16 hours... this is less than ideal especially outdoors, but at least I have that option. The device has a simple 4 LED display that indicates both charging and capacity. For trips I estimate heavy device use I plan on having this fully charged and just throw in the pack, I expect a minimum of at least one full phone recharge in the field and only on extended trips will I worry about solar re-charging the unit in any downtime. This is still a new device for me, but if I find anything that does not live up to my needs I'll follow up but in the end, I'm posting this review because (I have the day off and...) everything works well and its available for under $50 I think it could be useful to others seeking the same use from their phones (or other devices) if you can take advantage of the sale price in time this is a great deal... but I think there are other options if you had to pay full price for this.

Battery Type: Lithium-polymer
Battery Capacity: 4000 mAh
Voltage: Output DC: 5V 1000mA, Max Solar charge: 250mA
Operating Temperature: 0°C-45°C
Dimensions: 4.5” x 3.3” x 0.5” (114 x 84 x 14mm)
Weight: 6.5 oz (185g)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Koda

Re: Opteka BP-SC4000 solar USB battery pack

Post by Koda » February 22nd, 2012, 5:05 pm

it almost looks like a little man in a suit riding shotgun...

mayhem

Post by mayhem » February 22nd, 2012, 5:48 pm

Koda,
Good find & thanks for sharing your experience. If I was working I would purchase this unit, but I'm not, so, I will wait :( the battery alone without the solar is worth it to me. It would charge my phone about 3X....Bammmmm!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Koda

Post by Koda » February 22nd, 2012, 5:59 pm

now thats funny, my guess was actually Nixon

yes, lots of options out there. Here is one that peaked my interest plus I have others bookmarked. Goal Zero Nomad 7m Solar Panel and this one Mayhem pointed me to in the other thread... Guide 10 Plus Mobile Kit

I also came close to just getting a battery pack without solar panel because their capacity is larger in the same size, I lost the bookmark but it had about 8000mAh capacity for the same size...

@Mayhem: yeah I was really impressed to find one with 4000 mah AND a solar panel... This solar panel is slow to re-charge but does work well for its size so I think it will keep it topped off well. I'm trying to find that bookmark I mentioned... or maybe its this one I have one for a USB battery pack (sans solar) that has 5000 capacity...http://www.newtrent.com/IMP50D-dual-USB ... imp50d.htm under $50 right now.

potato

Post by potato » February 22nd, 2012, 6:56 pm

Thanks for the review! Seems like the best option I've seen, though I haven't researched it really. I'll probably get one someday. I wish I could consolidate completely to my phone, but for now I'm still bringing along my waterproof point and shoot for most hikes. I like my phone camera but it's still not as good as the Panasonic. Also I haven't seen a really good waterproof android case yet.

Geo the thread-topic-enforcer, going off-topic on the 1st reply! What is this forum coming to?! :D
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Koda

Post by Koda » February 22nd, 2012, 7:11 pm

theradpotato wrote:I wish I could consolidate completely to my phone, but for now I'm still bringing along my waterproof point and shoot for most hikes. I like my phone camera but it's still not as good as the Panasonic.
This is true, in my Android review I referred to this that the phone cameras while impressive for a phone are only excellent for documenting the trip at best vs actual photography. I will still bring my Canon camera on trips where I really want to capture the scene. I also like that Panasonic you have (you mentioned the model somewhere in another thread), IIRC it makes sense to get a waterproof camera.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » February 23rd, 2012, 8:23 am

Koda,
Was it New Trent External Batteries?
5000, 8000 & 11,000ma.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Koda

Post by Koda » February 23rd, 2012, 8:53 am

mayhem wrote:Koda,
Was it New Trent External Batteries?
5000, 8000 & 11,000ma.
yes. Those are impressive. If I had the money I'd get one... they are even on sale now on New Trent. In the end, I think that's a better way to go than something with solar... which is cool and all but 11,000ma and you can re-charge your typical phone for a week.

hakujin

Post by hakujin » March 1st, 2012, 11:52 am

nice little device, but the price (both what you paid and especially the supposed MSRP) is a cruel joke. This thing has been listed on Amazon for MONTHS for $25 (until it sold out of whatever supply that had recently). Same as 41st Street Photo. Now, I think the company which manufacturers would like to bank off this idea that it was on SALE when in fact it was at regular price, and charge more.

I'll pass go until its $25 again, or less... they're asking too much.

Montego

Post by Montego » March 29th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I just ordered me an Opteka BP-SC4000 for $25.07 with free shipping on Amazon.

I will give it a try. My concern is how long of a life will it have over time. I have tried a few other inexpensive solar/battery chargers but they seem to degrade quickly the more it is recharged. For $25, it is worth a try. At least this one has a brand name on it compared to a no-named device.

I need something light and will last me for my 20 to 25 mile day hikes. I am practicing to do a rim-to-rim to-rim in the Grand Canyon this summer.