Thermacell

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
drm

Thermacell

Post by drm » July 11th, 2017, 7:04 am

So this is a powered device that repels mosquitoes. One version can be powered by an isobutane canister but the more normal version is powered by some kind of propane insert. It also has an inserted "pad" that it heats to emit some scent (no, not citronella) that repels the mosquitoes. They claim a 15 foot dome of protection - you can even where it on your belt while hiking. A friend who has it says it works, but not quite for 15 feet.

I was going to buy from REI but they were backordered so I held off. It is not available in stores here in The Dalles that I can find but am told that Walmart in Hood River has it.

Any other experiences to share about how well this thing works? Cost is under $30 but you have to buy and replace both the pad and power unit, apparently in 12 hour increments. I don't remember what they cost.

Tom of the Woods

Re: Thermacell

Post by Tom of the Woods » July 11th, 2017, 4:53 pm

I have one. Late summer when the skeeters are thinning out, it seemed to be somewhat effective when I was sitting. I don't think it would be very effective while walking, too much air movement would diffuse the scent / chemicals. I don't know how it would do with the current early / mid summer concentrations ... they're epic in Sky Lakes right now.

If I remember, I should do an experiment this weekend, I have a couple day hikes planned. Thanks for the inspiration!
- Tom