GPS?

Ask questions and share your experiences with hiking & backpacking gear, and share trail recipes and gadget tips. Please see classifieds forum for buying/selling stuff.
Koda

Re: GPS?

Post by Koda » March 25th, 2017, 1:07 pm

50 bucks? High end certified refurbished phones run about $150...

The real question is how much to replace a cracked touchscreen on a $500 Garmin?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Ginchy

Post by Ginchy » March 25th, 2017, 5:08 pm

It is around $150 to replace my phone screen or more if anything else like the button breaks off. I'm sure a GPS would be more but I haven't had issues with dropping them. Also if I break my phone and need to call out for some reason I'm SOL. I really just prefer to have a dedicated GPS, the extra weight and money isn't an issue.

sparklehorse

Post by sparklehorse » April 4th, 2017, 1:42 pm

I keep my phone in a Lifeproof case. It's waterproof and shockproof, so I have no worries about dropping my phone. Gaia GPS is an awesome phone app. Expensive but worth it, and it is possible to upload previously captured tracks to it. They have a variety of map content you can download to your phone while on WiFi. Their Topo maps are high res, very useful. With the newer iPhones you can turn on Airplane Mode but still use the GPS. The battery can last a long time if you do that, because the phone isn't pinging for a tower it can't find. I haven't used my Garmin for six years.
You have to milk the cow a lot to make a bit of cheese.
~Henri Cartier-Bresson

Smugmug / Facebook

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 4th, 2017, 6:54 pm

I've used the Garmin 62s for years now and it's great. Reliable, locks on and creates accurate tracks. Free maps with trails can be downloaded and installed from www.nwtopos.com (I'm not sure if there are any other free sources out there).

The Garmin 64s is now on sale at many places for $199 and it is tempting to upgrade. If I were in the market for a GPS I'd grab that one while it is on sale.

I use my phone for other things on hikes. It's become my primary camera, and also I use the Garmin (Delorme) app to connect to my inReach SE emergency communication device with the phone, which provides a great interface for messaging and such. So the phone is plenty busy during my hikes and I need a dedicated GPS.

Now that Garmin has purchased Delorme I'm hoping that they will come out with a slick new product that combines the functions of the 64s with the emergency features of the inReach device. I'd pay a fortune for that! Yes. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » April 4th, 2017, 7:45 pm

Crusak wrote:Free maps with trails can be downloaded and installed from http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/ (I'm not sure if there are any other free sources out there).
There are: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
Last edited by adamschneider on April 9th, 2017, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oregator

Post by oregator » April 9th, 2017, 11:04 am

Friend of mine is ready to sell me his Garmin Oregon 600 for a good price. Any feedback on this particular GPS ? Thank you :)