FYI: hiking is "risky"

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Bosterson

FYI: hiking is "risky"

Post by Bosterson » April 20th, 2018, 2:32 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/educat ... 1804180168

After a two-month review that did not include consultation with student Outing Club leaders, [Penn State] university’s offices of Student Affairs and Risk Management, made the determination that the hiking, canoeing, kayaking, trail building and camping activities the student-led club has long engaged in are too risky.
and
Timothy Hackett, the Outing Club’s outgoing treasurer, said he knows of no student injuries on any Outing Club trips over the four years that he’s been at the school. He said the club did not participate in the risk assessment and has not seen the finished report.

...[Penn spokeswoman] Ms. Powers responded, saying the university conducted a “proactive risk assessment,” that was not based on any previous participant injuries. She said PSOC activities were rated high risk because they take place in remote environments with poor cell phone service, and sometimes far from emergency services.
and
“Our increasingly litigious society is making it far more difficult for people to get outside without the fear of lawsuits for any misstep. I can hardly blame Penn State for protecting itself against further litigation after a number of high-profile scandals in the past decade,” she said.
Thanks Jerry Sandusky! Also, I hear using actual numbers to draw conclusions is for chumps, so bravo to Penn State for being a model educational institution and helping us to learn this important lesson.

Where is my #tortreform? :roll:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Guy

Re: FYI: hiking is "risky"

Post by Guy » April 20th, 2018, 2:53 pm

I'm supersized is been allowed to go on for so long, just think of all the terrible things that could happen to you out on the trail.

I wonder how many college sponsored athletes have been injured during the same time period.

Much better sticking to safe traditional college activities like frat house binge drinking ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » April 21st, 2018, 7:27 am

Guy wrote:
April 20th, 2018, 2:53 pm
Much better sticking to safe traditional college activities like frat house binge drinking ;)
It's a shame people can't binge drink while hiking. ;)

sgyoung

Post by sgyoung » April 21st, 2018, 10:20 am

One would assume at least a few of their D1 student athletes have sustained serious injuries. Sounds like it's time to shutter the sports programs*.

This must be maddening for the students involved. At my urban campus where the nearest tree is about two blocks away we're trying to increase environmental awareness and get student clubs to organize hikes/camp outs in upstate NY. Our problem isn't that admin finds it dangerous but that students are uninterested.

(*I'd actually be totally ok with getting rid of D1 college sports for separate reasons, but that's a different thread all together).

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 25th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Breaking news: Penn State post-hocs a different, unexplained justification:
But in a statement released Monday by PSU spokeswoman Lisa Powers, the university said student behavior on some of the trips was a concern, including the "misuse of alcohol in the context of already risky activities." It was the first time the university cited alcohol use as a reason for its actions.

Ms. Powers could not immediately cite specific examples.
and
Ms. Powers said leaders of the outing and diving clubs have indicated a desire to move ahead under a “new model” that would allow them to function as informational, educational and social organizations, but cede outdoor activities to the university’s Outdoor Adventures program, which would schedule, organize and run trips using trained student staffers.
Note that in the previous article, it was mentioned that the university's program has higher fees, which presumably go to the university, not to the club. :roll:

5th

Post by 5th » April 25th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Or they could just get together with their club buddies and go backpacking. They don't need a club for that and the uni can "take a hike" too.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » April 25th, 2018, 3:01 pm

5th wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 2:38 pm
Or they could just get together with their club buddies and go backpacking. They don't need a club for that and the uni can "take a hike" too.
This is true; however, university outdoors clubs are useful in that they generally have outdoor gear to loan or rent out, and some amount of budget to cover gas costs for sponsored trips and that kind of thing. I was involved with my outdoor club in college and it was pretty useful for getting trips put together, teaching skills, and outfitting you with any gear you may not own yet. Of course, that was before social media, so presumably everyone now is having their personal information harvested by Facebook as they plan trips there. :lol:

Hopefully the Penn State club will be able to continue in an unofficial capacity, since this is such obvious nonsense. Think of what would have happened in the 1960s if the Harvard Mountaineering Club had been told its activities were "too risky." Maybe Bradford Washburn would have instead gone to work in finance! :shock:

BigBear

Post by BigBear » April 27th, 2018, 8:47 am

No, I agree with Penn State. Hiking is very risky. You should not under-estimate the dangers involved in hiking.

For example, there's the trailhead. There are no many vehicles battling for limited parking that you are more likely to get ran down in a car tying your boots at your back bumper than playing frisbee on the freeway. That's why there are so many government agencies trying to limit parking by charging trailhead fees. Even at Hoyt Arboretum, parking is so congested that the hourly rates in the park exceed the rates charged downtown (that's actually true).

Then there's the risk of being trampled on the trail. Dog Mtn's trails, even after limited parking considerations, are still so crowded USFS has started charging a walking fee in an attempt to discourage the public from visiting the public lands in the hordes that they do.

And who can forget the multiple-users on the trail. The bombers on bikes who forget that they must yield to pedestrians all of the time regardless of how out of control they are bouncing down the rocky trail, or the joggers who can't break stride because "I'm in a zone, man" as they nearly bump you to the ground as they run past you on a narrow trail.

Then there's the long drive where tired hikers have to struggle to stay awake for hours on end.

Poison oak, snakes, bears, cougars are all out there too, but their impact pales by comparison to the hordes of humans pushing their way through the lines of people on the trail in their quest for the summit. By all means, stay at home and play video games. It's much safer than hiking.

Then there's the cost. Hiking boots are much more expensive than bathrobes and socks. Keep seated at your laptops and don't razz the fashion police by trying to dress comfortably on the trail. It's too much work, and I should know.

Then there's the weather. It's always 65-70 in your house and dry. On the trail it can rain or snow. The wind might blow branches off the trees, and even when it's sunny, you might get a sunburn. Don't risk it.

Protect our youth from the dangers of hiking. You owe it to them, and the rest of us that don't have room for the next generation on the trail.

footnote: If you haven't tasted the sarcasm in my tone, you need to re-read the post.

romann

Post by romann » May 9th, 2018, 11:20 pm

When you get on the rocks, remember to rope up ;). And keep together in large groups so if some wild animal decides to attack, it will take out only 1 from a crowd. And don't ever think about going there alone.

(this picture was no joke, it was from article written by outdoors guide)
download.jpg

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » May 10th, 2018, 5:29 am

romann wrote:
May 9th, 2018, 11:20 pm
When you get on the rocks, remember to rope up ;). And keep together in large groups so if some wild animal decides to attack, it will take out only 1 from a crowd. And don't ever think about going there alone.

(this picture was no joke, it was from article written by outdoors guide)
download.jpg
Great shot of the new Dog Mountain permit system in operation! Safety in numbers!