"Keep our mountains free and dangerous"

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
VanMarmot

Re: "Keep our mountains free and dangerous"

Post by VanMarmot » February 3rd, 2018, 1:40 pm

bobcat wrote:What the article is highlighting is the cultural phenomenon of increased use generating increased abuse, which generates increased attention and public policy, in the form of regulations, signs, and flush toilets. Usually what happens is that those who had enjoyed it all to themselves move on to another "remote" place, and the whole cycle repeats itself. I don't see any comparable situation to Mont Blanc in our area (The connection really is totally hypothetical), but I do agree that the best solution is to find a way to restrict the legal avenue rather than over-regulate.
Well, there has been talk on and off for years about regulating the herds on Hood's southside route. Nothing so far other than keeping your group size within wilderness regulations. But if Oregon has a "Mont Blanc" in its future, I'm guessing Hood is where it would start.

viking

Post by viking » April 9th, 2018, 8:19 pm

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I like rules! I also want parking lot attendants and concierges at every trail head. We also need to commercialize our woods before we log them. Starbucks at all culturally significant locations like the Hogsback and the top of Dog. Boot shines and those cool telescopes you put a quarter in at every overlook. Also cleaner trails, I hate having to employ people to move the rocks and sticks out of the way so my carriage bearers don't cut their feet while hauling me into my secret hideouts.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » April 9th, 2018, 9:32 pm

viking wrote:I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I like rules! I also want parking lot attendants and concierges at every trail head. We also need to commercialize our woods before we log them. Starbucks at all culturally significant locations like the Hogsback and the top of Dog. Boot shines and those cool telescopes you put a quarter in at every overlook. Also cleaner trails, I hate having to employ people to move the rocks and sticks out of the way so my carriage bearers don't cut their feet while hauling me into my secret hideouts.
Wait a minute...... is this sarcasm?
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » April 10th, 2018, 6:44 am

Peabody wrote:
viking wrote:I don't know what everyone is complaining about. I like rules! I also want parking lot attendants and concierges at every trail head. We also need to commercialize our woods before we log them. Starbucks at all culturally significant locations like the Hogsback and the top of Dog. Boot shines and those cool telescopes you put a quarter in at every overlook. Also cleaner trails, I hate having to employ people to move the rocks and sticks out of the way so my carriage bearers don't cut their feet while hauling me into my secret hideouts.
Wait a minute...... is this sarcasm?
Just a touch...