Judge Rules Forest Pass Fee Invalid in Southern California

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Water

Re: Judge Rules Forest Pass Fee Invalid in Southern Californ

Post by Water » November 24th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Aimless wrote:
As far as I know, the NW Forest Pass is still required at trailheads that meet the list of requirements, until your arguments have been tested for their legal validity. I invite you to bring the necessary test case.
Required if you use their amenities. To park and hike? Nope!

I've been trying for the last 3 or 4 years by not have a NWFP and parking at trailheads that say they're required. Any advice on how to get a ticket at onn without parking to block traffic and thereby getting a tow or traffic citation? I was making direct eye contact with a FS guy in his truck as I left the vehicle (with no pass hanging or visible) at High Prairie TH in late September or October.. No ticket when we came back 6hr later.

Near as I can tell I'm testing the legal validity by repeatedly parking in areas that says its required, but FS really doesn't want to put a ticket out because they know if challenged in court, there's existing and recent case law that does not support their position.
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 24th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Has anyone ever been ticketed?

Washington State Parks do, like at Beacon Rock, but I've never seen a ticket from Forest Service.

Guy

Post by Guy » November 24th, 2017, 8:02 pm

retired jerry wrote:Has anyone ever been ticketed?

Washington State Parks do, like at Beacon Rock, but I've never seen a ticket from Forest Service.
Yes at Top Spur but several years ago.

More recently I have seen them issue tons of tickets at Devils Lake (South Sister Climb TH)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

BigBear

Post by BigBear » November 27th, 2017, 3:32 pm

A few years back, many people received tickets even when they had a valid NW Forest Pass displayed. The concessionaires who manage camping areas at the Wahtum lake, Fish Creek and Eightmile Creek trailheads got too aggressive in their parking fees that they chose to ignore the USFS pass and demanded $5 payments. Some people paid the extortion, others chose to ignore the demands.