Gorge closure order

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Bosterson

Re: Gorge closure order

Post by Bosterson » October 27th, 2017, 2:07 pm

More interesting/perplexing/worrysome is the October 10th final BAER report. Under the heading "Recreation" on page 3, they note:
Due to safety concerns outlined in the geology and hydrology sections, these trails are currently closed and will remain closed until hazards are mitigated and the trail crews conduct trail repair work. Restoration of the trails will include rebuilding and stabilizing trail tread, reconstructing drainage features, removing fallen logs, and repairing stump holes. Hazard trees will be removed at trailheads, where users are concentrated, but not along trails.

Due to the dangerous and life-threatening conditions present on trails in the burned area, the BAER team has requested funding to install effective barriers on the trails. There have already been numerous reports of the fire closure being breached at popular trails indicating this is going to be an ongoing challenge.
Questions:

1) Does this mean some/all trails will be officially closed until full restoration of the the trails is complete? Given the presumptive amount of damage and the sheer volume of affected trails, and given the FS's record in how "fast" they actually get around to fixing things (TKO - will you be stepping in, or is this above your pay grade?), what's the estimate one when some/all of the trails will be open? Spring seems a bit... optimistic.

2) By "barriers" do they mean they're going to try to blockade off access to trails somehow? (This seems like a losing and expensive proposition.) As of now, all trails are closed regardless of their actual level of damage to prevent people from moving around the area and into danger zones or onto other connecting trails that are closed. If given the ...optimistic... prognosis for trail rebuilding discussed above, will they maintain a full closure (using barricades?!) for the entirety, or will they open (unbarricade?) selected trails? How will that affect off trail access, since some of us aren't interested in whether the trails are open or closed? If trails are dangerous, mustn't off trail areas also be dangerous? How could this possibly be regulated without the entire Gorge staying closed until all/most trail work is complete?

For the record, I am fine with the area being closed until spring. However, I do find it worrisome that the FS potentially will keep the area closed indefinitely until they can finish a presumably massive amount of trail restoration. Especially considering that they are already attempting to use their reduced slice of the federal budget (what? you mean this won't be funded by FOREST PASSES? HAHAHA.) to buy barricades rather than pay for the trail work itself. Maybe we should expect the work to be completed and the Gorge reopened around 2020...
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 27th, 2017, 4:10 pm

That's rich, there are people 'breaking in' to the gorge and it's not even me, ugh...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 27th, 2017, 5:30 pm

we don't want to hear about EP, busted, put in jail :)

Peabody

Post by Peabody » October 28th, 2017, 10:46 am

Eric Peterson wrote:That's rich, there are people 'breaking in' to the gorge and it's not even me, ugh...
I like to think of it as a "soft opening"
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Charley

Post by Charley » October 28th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Bosterson wrote:More interesting/perplexing/worrysome is the October 10th final BAER report. Under the heading "Recreation" on page 3, they note:
Due to safety concerns outlined in the geology and hydrology sections, these trails are currently closed and will remain closed until hazards are mitigated and the trail crews conduct trail repair work. Restoration of the trails will include rebuilding and stabilizing trail tread, reconstructing drainage features, removing fallen logs, and repairing stump holes. Hazard trees will be removed at trailheads, where users are concentrated, but not along trails.

Due to the dangerous and life-threatening conditions present on trails in the burned area, the BAER team has requested funding to install effective barriers on the trails. There have already been numerous reports of the fire closure being breached at popular trails indicating this is going to be an ongoing challenge.
I went to a PCTA trail maintenance class the other day, and the teacher had no idea when anyone would be allowed to go in and work on the trails. Maybe the Service is waiting till the date that they'll count the fire as officially out? Maybe making damage assessments as we speak? Maybe making a plan to make damage assessments. . . etc?

I think the FS should open the undamaged trails relatively soon. Go out, assess the Defiance area trails, then open them. Sure, the undamaged trails connect up to the most damaged areas on the back end. Just put up some signage that it's closed beyond a certain point. I mean, parts of the PCT were open all summer, even though many large stretches were already closed; it would have been possible to hike in to the closed areas. At some point, you just have to let adults be adults.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Water

Post by Water » October 28th, 2017, 11:30 pm

drm wrote:I have assumed from what Water wrote that there was an off-trail closure specific to the Pole Creek area. I know that off-trail is not prohibited in general in the national forest.
this is correct. though it reads like a boiler-plate message.
Feel Free to Feel Free

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 29th, 2017, 4:49 am

I don't see the closure notice at https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/deschutes/alerts-notices

I read somewhere people were camping this year in the closed area

And last summer something happened to some of the closure signs when I walked through

Maybe the Pole Creek fire closure has petered out even if it's not official?

There are still hazards, like trees that were killed in the fire and are now falling over

Guy

Post by Guy » October 29th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Bosterson wrote:......
For the record, I am fine with the area being closed until spring. However, I do find it worrisome that the FS potentially will keep the area closed indefinitely until they can finish a presumably massive amount of trail restoration. Especially considering that they are already attempting to use their reduced slice of the federal budget (what? you mean this won't be funded by FOREST PASSES? HAHAHA.) to buy barricades rather than pay for the trail work itself. Maybe we should expect the work to be completed and the Gorge reopened around 2020...
My worry is that USFS is going to keep the whole area closed as for them it's the easiest cheapest option. But I'm of the same opinion, I'll wait until Spring, but if the area wide closure that already includes areas that didn't burn (ie. Larch Mt Rd.) then all bets are off.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 29th, 2017, 6:24 pm

Guy, it seems like Larch Mtn Rd will be closed well before the snow gate until they open the entire area back up in 2021.

Guy

Post by Guy » October 30th, 2017, 4:39 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Guy, it seems like Larch Mtn Rd will be closed well before the snow gate until they open the entire area back up in 2021.
But maybe $250.00 Guided tour permits to Sherrard Point and Multnomah Falls in 2018 ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors