Gorge closure order

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Webfoot

Re: Gorge closure order

Post by Webfoot » October 30th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Invasive species are the most serious ecological threat, due to the fact that large burned areas open the
watersheds to the rapid spread of species adapted to colonizing disturbed soils. Many of these are exotics
that displace native species and can disrupt ecological relationships and connections, reducing ecosystem
stability. The appearance, function, economic value, and resilience of large landscapes can be substantially
changed by invasive species.

Two species of concern are false brome (Brachypodium sylvaticum) and garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata).
Both produce prolific seeds and can become established as a dense groundcover in disturbed areas,
including on fire scars. They can grow in shaded and open locations, are capable of crowding out native
species, and have limited use as food sources for wildlife.
This might be one of the better justifications for a prolonged closure of the area.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 31st, 2017, 9:16 am

Guy wrote:
Eric Peterson wrote:Guy, it seems like Larch Mtn Rd will be closed well before the snow gate until they open the entire area back up in 2021.
But maybe $250.00 Guided tour permits to Sherrard Point and Multnomah Falls in 2018 ;)
OMG, that made me :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

But hey, pretty cheap at that price! Some outfits have found a going price of $600 for exclusive access to public lands can be all the more lucrative...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

romann

Post by romann » November 12th, 2017, 10:56 am

They have very different approach in Arizona. Want to visit area that was used as a bombing range? Just sign a release liability form and go :). http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView?WID=90
To ensure you are aware of the dangers of unexploded military ordnance, a permit and your signature on a Holdharmless Agreement is required to enter the Refuge/Wilderness.
If Gorge land managers worry about liability too much, they can let hikers sign a similar agreement.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » November 12th, 2017, 10:33 pm

romann wrote:Want to visit area that was used as a bombing range? Just sign a release liability form and go.
:lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Peabody

Post by Peabody » November 13th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Rooster Rock Rd. Trailhead at the Portland Women's Forum

Well at least the State is being proactive. When people see the damage they're gonna S*#t!
1.jpg
2.jpg
Here's a good as place as any to post this..............

Map showing likelihood of a debris flow within the Eagle Creek Fire boundary. Link
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 20th, 2017, 3:03 pm

http://katu.com/news/local/us-forestodo ... -footprint
An ODOT spokesperson told KATU News about plans to open a six-mile stretch of the Historic Columbia River Highway by Thanksgiving weekend, stretching from Larch Mountain to Bridal Veil.

Once the road is clear, Chris Havel with Oregon State Parks said Vista House and the parking lot and trail to Bridal Veil Falls will be open.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-north ... atfor.html
Pawlitz said on Friday the lodge may open in December. However, the trail leading from the lodge will remain closed with no projected opening date.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » November 20th, 2017, 7:19 pm

I'm pleased to see the closure notice posted by Peabody. I've seen those, but didn't snap a pic.
I'll have to restrain myself from posting a blistering rant (for now). But I will observe that the notice indicates a max $250 fine for those with the gall to trespass on public property, while news outlets report actual levied fines of $1000. It's a bit of a moot point, since very few people will actually be fined, but I do wonder about the disparity.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » November 21st, 2017, 5:05 am

Chip Down wrote:But I will observe that the notice indicates a max $250 fine for those with the gall to trespass on public property, while news outlets report actual levied fines of $1000.
State v Federal?

BigBear

Post by BigBear » November 21st, 2017, 10:24 am

It's all about where you trespass.

The sign in the photo is Oregon State Parks.

USFS (Agriculture) is likely different that National Parks (Interior). I believe the national park fee was $2,500 back when the government shut down all of the public land, but national forest had no fines during that period.

Then there's the ODOT fine for parking your car where it shouldn't be.

Perhaps Chip could do some in-field research for us and report back on the various tickets he receives. :)
How'd that Beacon Rock thing turn out last spring? :)

Peabody

Post by Peabody » November 23rd, 2017, 2:39 pm

Here's a link to the USDA forest Service closure order. Link

"Violations of these prohibitions are punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both. (16 U.S.C.551, and 18 U.S.C. 3559 and 3571)"
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White