Indian Heaven Wilderness is partially RE-OPENED!

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
romann

Re: Fire in Indian Heaven Wilderness PCT closed

Post by romann » September 7th, 2017, 10:26 pm

OK, they now posted perimeter map, and revised fire size estimate - 450 acres. The fire indeed started at East Crater. Minimal damage so far, no other major area's attractions burned as fire creeps SE to wilderness boundary. Keeping fingers crossed.. West wind in the forecast for the next few days.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5589/

xrp

Post by xrp » September 22nd, 2017, 2:25 pm

Update:

I just called Mt Adams Ranger Station inquiring about open/close status for IHW.

It's still closed and right now they are anticipating it being closed until next spring. :(

She said I could try checking back in next week.

That being said, what kind of enforcement occurs around an area being closed?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 24th, 2017, 7:49 pm

I looked at the closure map and am amazed - why in the world is the entire Indian heaven wilderness closed!!! This makes no sense at all and besides, the fire is out. what is going on!!
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » September 25th, 2017, 7:35 am

Don Nelsen wrote:I looked at the closure map and am amazed - why in the world is the entire Indian heaven wilderness closed!!! This makes no sense at all and besides, the fire is out. what is going on!!
I think there is concern that the snow will catch on fire :roll:
indianheaven.jpg

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 25th, 2017, 1:49 pm

I wonder if they don't have the time/resources/inclination to make sure there are no burnt trees that will fall on hikers, so they're just keeping it closed until winter snow permanently closes the place down. As always, the lack of explanation and transparency is frustrating.

drm

Post by drm » September 25th, 2017, 2:11 pm

When they first closed the entire wilderness, it seemed a bit much but I figured that they didn't want to have to go searching for campers if the fire grew. Those hikers trapped on Eagle Creek probably created lots of near heart attacks for wilderness staffers and the Eagle Creek fire expanded so fast.

But the East Crater fire never grew and then it poured rain on the fire. True, it's smack dab in the middle of the wilderness, but there are plenty of destinations on the fringes miles from the fire.
xrp wrote:That being said, what kind of enforcement occurs around an area being closed?
If anybody is still out there working on it, then the trailheads and staging areas will probably have a lot of enforcement going on. Aside from that it has to be spotty. I think that most of the regular seasonal staff are just about off for the year.
Last edited by drm on September 26th, 2017, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cranky Coot

Post by Cranky Coot » September 25th, 2017, 3:36 pm

"near heart attacks for wilderness staffers"

Just to keep up with details, the hikers were not trapped in Wildernesss, though the exit ended up being through Wilderness. The invagination goes in pretty deep.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 28th, 2017, 8:35 am

Actually the closure of the entire wilderness makes sense to me. Too many people will hike toward the fire to either get pictures or see what has burned, possibly even get burned int he process. (It's the old story of touching the bench to see if the paint is still wet.)

It is frustrating this year because the fire closures include Indian Heaven, the Gorge, Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Washington, Three Sisters, Crater Lake, Roque-Umpqua Divide, and Mountain Lakes. Then the smoke has strangled Mt. Hood, Olallie Lakes and Sky Lakes, completing the Cascade unhikeable status for those of us who like to breath clean air.

The real frustration will occur next spring if the Gorge trails remain closed.

NW_Eric

Post by NW_Eric » October 5th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Looks like some of Indian Heaven is open again as of today.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/giffordp ... ?aid=43049

xrp

Post by xrp » October 5th, 2017, 7:16 pm

NW_Eric wrote:Looks like some of Indian Heaven is open again as of today.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/giffordp ... ?aid=43049
Thank you. I just checked the USFS website for GPNF and saw that also.

This is from their website:

10/5/17: Most of the Indian Heaven Wilderness has reopened. Some trails still remain closed due to the East Crater Trail. These include the Pacific Crest Trail No. 2000 between the intersection of Trail No. 111 north (near Blue Lake) to its intersection with Trail No. 176 (near Bear Lake); all of Trail No. 48 is closed; and Trail No. 179 is closed from its intersection with the Pacific Crest Trail approximately .94 miles north to the point it intersects the northern boundary of T 6 N, R 8 E, Section 14. Please call Mt. Adams Ranger District 509-395-3402 for up-to-date information.

I am also going to re-title my original post, if I can, to let everyone know we can go to IHW again.