Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
windmtnpete

Re: Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Post by windmtnpete » October 22nd, 2017, 6:10 am

Of course the MOST ironic part of this whole situation is that I have reported these large fireworks by my neighbor on Wind Mountain (who is old enough to know better) for years and have sought help from the sheriff, Forest Service, Friends of the Gorge with no response what so ever. No enforcement. How can they now enforce the law with this kid who was simply unlucky?

The criminal act of my neighbor was intentional.... he was sending the message to me that he can do anything he wants and NOBODY can tell him what he can or cannot do. Authorities were simply too afraid to do anything about it..... they still are.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 22nd, 2017, 10:30 am

windmtnpete wrote:Of course the MOST ironic part of this whole situation is that I have reported these large fireworks by my neighbor on Wind Mountain (who is old enough to know better) for years and have sought help from the sheriff, Forest Service, Friends of the Gorge with no response what so ever.
Have you sought help from the press? There are still a few old-fashioned muckrakers out there.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 22nd, 2017, 10:52 am

retired jerry wrote:I just drove through there...There were a couple places where the fire burned to the edge of the road, otherwise it was sort of hard to know anything happened.
In a 38 page thread it's hard to be sure I'm not repeating myself, but I'd like to say Jerry is right. Based on the news hyperbole, I was expecting to see miles of black. But nope. Lots of scorched patches, and some open ridgecrests where you can now see light through the trees, but it wasn't at all what I imagined. I got the same impression looking across from the Wind/Dog area (slightly east of Stevenson, a few miles east of Cascade Locks). I do recognize the possibility that one can't accurately judge the extent of a fire (in terms of area+severity) from the highway or from across the river, but my layman's impression is that it isn't as bad as people have been led to believe.

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 22nd, 2017, 11:38 am

adamschneider wrote:
windmtnpete wrote:Of course the MOST ironic part of this whole situation is that I have reported these large fireworks by my neighbor on Wind Mountain (who is old enough to know better) for years and have sought help from the sheriff, Forest Service, Friends of the Gorge with no response what so ever.
Have you sought help from the press? There are still a few old-fashioned muckrakers out there.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. Nobody from the media has any interest in this... doesn't seem to fit in with their agenda? The current corruption in America seems to have affected their fact finding efforts. That's fine..... I'm now happy in sunny Mexico around people who are wonderful to be around. Sorry you folks can't be here.

― J.R.R. Tolkien

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 22nd, 2017, 11:41 am

"...Based on the news hyperbole, I was expecting to see miles of black...."

This fire in the end will be just fine for natural areas. I can't wait until they let me go up Herman Creek...

Terrible for people that lost houses and that lost business because of closures...

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 22nd, 2017, 1:16 pm

windmtnpete wrote:
adamschneider wrote:
Yes, as a matter of fact, I have. Nobody from the media has any interest in this... doesn't seem to fit in with their agenda? The current corruption in America seems to have affected their fact finding efforts. That's fine..... I'm now happy in sunny Mexico around people who are wonderful to be around. Sorry you folks can't be here.
Ah yes, I found the email I sent the Oregonian on September 5th. There were videos I have of the crime as proof posted on my facebook page. A "colleague" from the Oregonian was suppose to get back to me but never did.

Everyone is trying to ignore these crimes...... does anyone know why? Why is it that in America crimes are only enforced if people don't have the money or political ties. Is there something on the books that says people with money and political ties can do as they please? Why are the people that are most corrupt in this culture the ones who have the most influence, power and followers?

Sorry for all the questions, it just makes me want to stay away from the USA.

― J.R.R. Tolkien

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 22nd, 2017, 1:41 pm

Try Willamette Week.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 22nd, 2017, 7:45 pm

adamschneider wrote:Try Willamette Week.
Or heck, maybe even the justifiably-derided Mercury or Tribune, both of which occasionally surprise us with real journalism.

I always enjoy seeing a WMP rant. I'm a bit on the anti-authority side myself, and nice to know I'm not alone.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 22nd, 2017, 9:06 pm

Why is it that in America crimes are only enforced if people don't have the money or political ties. Is there something on the books that says people with money and political ties can do as they please? Why are the people that are most corrupt in this culture the ones who have the most influence, power and followers?

Are you sure you've given these questions much thought? If you haven't noticed, having money and political ties are important forms of power and power means the ability to punish or to reward. People are built to respond to rewards and punishment.

Government and laws are intended to provide effective counter-measures to work on behalf of those, like us, who lack wealth and political ties, but these counter-measures work as they were intended to only sporadically. It is amazing that they exist at all, and we who benefit most from them must nourish them and encourage them at every turn or they will wither away. Unfortunately, we who lack money and power are often too involved with keeping the wolf from the door to tend to our political interests with the same vigor as those with wealth to burn.

To speak to an entirely different level of corruption than local sheriffs and fireworks bans being ignored, read Dark Money, Jane Mayer. It is in the fine, old tradition of muckracking journalism, now usually called "investigative journalism".

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 23rd, 2017, 3:45 am

Chip Down wrote:
adamschneider wrote:Try Willamette Week.

I always enjoy seeing a WMP rant. I'm a bit on the anti-authority side myself, and nice to know I'm not alone.
Perhaps anti-bigotry would be a more accurate term, eh? You can blame my old school teachings, I was raised with a common theme..... my teachers in high school were all from 60's - 70's Nixon era Berkeley. Question everything and everyone, don't go along with the crowd, don't trust government. Lessons well learned in the Vietnam war, eh?

― J.R.R. Tolkien