Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

Re: Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Post by drm » October 23rd, 2017, 7:18 am

windmtnpete wrote:No enforcement. How can they now enforce the law with this kid who was simply unlucky?
1. The kid caused a spectacular fire.
2. difference in Multnomah (or Hood River?) vs. Skamania counties.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 23rd, 2017, 8:15 am

drm wrote:
windmtnpete wrote:No enforcement. How can they now enforce the law with this kid who was simply unlucky?
1. The kid caused a spectacular fire.
2. difference in Multnomah (or Hood River?) vs. Skamania counties.
It was Hood River. And as for #1, that's a good point... if those Skamaniacs had accidentally set off a huge fire with their illegal fireworks while local officials stood by and watched, I think it WOULD be investigated and some heads would roll.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » October 23rd, 2017, 9:08 am

I take great offense to the phrase "the kid was just unlucky." Having a burning barrel in your backyard that has a spark carried by the wind to a field on the other side of the fence is unlucky.

Setting off fireworks by throwing them down a canyon wall in a national forest in an extreme fire danger situation on a trail already partially closed by a fireworks fire two months earlier is criminally negligent. It was also intentional.

I have no doubt the kid meant to start a fire. He just didn't expect it would burn down the Gorge and cause so much damage and anger. Kids this age intentionally start field fires with magnifying glasses or matches in the summer months quite frequently, just to watch the fire department put them out. This kid was stupid beyond any level of reasonable behavior in selecting a location that could not be extinguished. The kids who started the Hood River fire a week later while the city was under a level-2 evacuation notice knew what they were doing, and were also criminally negligent.

The inconsistent enforcement of laws is a problem, it sends a message to other people that their crimes do not matter. Exercising one's perceived liberties infringes on other people's reasonable expectations of societal norms. At what point do we stop making excuses for poor behavior and start expecting the behavior bar to be raised?

No means no. It doesn't mean "everyone else." It means no to you too (especially you). There are too many people to act like it doesn't matter. Expecting anything less is not acceptable.

Water

Post by Water » October 23rd, 2017, 2:27 pm

windmntpete, i'm with you on the outrage (mine for MSHI).. but what's with the semi-secrecy. Is your neighbor extremely wealthy? A benefactor of local politics? Or a local politician themselves? Or work in a public capacity that gives them lots of power? Who's your neighbor, are you at risk to name them? Can't I write the name of my neighbor on the internet and say they... ....have an shed that isn't up to code? poured oil down the storm drain? played loud music late at night? made a fire during a burn ban? etc? without legal repercussions?
Feel Free to Feel Free

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 23rd, 2017, 2:46 pm

I expect that if windmtnpete has the proof to back up his statements, there's no way his neighbor would win a suit for defamation. But having to respond to a frivolous lawsuit is expensive, even if the complainant hasn't got a leg to stand on. I can see why pete might be a bit shy of naming names on the internet.

Water

Post by Water » October 23rd, 2017, 2:53 pm

fair nuff, good point.
Feel Free to Feel Free

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 23rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

BigBear wrote: I have no doubt the kid meant to start a fire.
I was sure too..... until I considered this particular situation. This kid did this stupid act in front of strangers standing just a few feet away. Why would anyone who wants to start a fire do it with witnesses around? Wouldn't he and his friends find a private place with nobody around if they intended to start a fire? No, I think those kids were playing a "dare" game as if they were playing a video game. No excuse for this, but I don't think they intended to do that damage.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 23rd, 2017, 4:05 pm

Water wrote:windmntpete, i'm with you on the outrage (mine for MSHI).. but what's with the semi-secrecy. Is your neighbor extremely wealthy? A benefactor of local politics? Or a local politician themselves? Or work in a public capacity that gives them lots of power? Who's your neighbor, are you at risk to name them? Can't I write the name of my neighbor on the internet and say they... ....have an shed that isn't up to code? poured oil down the storm drain? played loud music late at night? made a fire during a burn ban? etc? without legal repercussions?
Actually, it's two retired (narcissistic) neighbors who have joined together in this weird game. It's a mystery what they are trying to accomplish. I've got some theories. Meanwhile, they put the lives and community at risk. Nothing like neighborly love, eh?

Money? yes. The dude must have spent several thousands of dollars on fireworks in the last year alone.

Political ties? yes. His wife is well known in the community. They were both very instrumental in electing the County Commissioner. The County Commissioners attend the parties with the illegal fireworks (they have no permit) He's also got special ties with the Forest Service and WKO. Crazy, eh?

Proof? Yes. I've got several videos of the huge fireworks displays from my backyard. The fireworks have lasted up to 30 minutes of continuous explosions.

Tom has made it clear that he will continue with his criminal behavior (he flips me off every time he drives through my property). It's to the point now where he has no control over this manic behavior.... can't fix stupid. The other neighbor is even worse. They both have guns and are not shy about shooting them. I have filed reports with the Sheriff. Meanwhile, the game goes on.

Their names are Tom Galant and Jimmy White. I want them to know that I'm not afraid of them and their behavior is threatening to the place I love and the people of Home Valley.... as well as the rest of the Columbia River Gorge. They need to stop their inconsiderate, irresponsible, destructive behavior now.
Last edited by windmtnpete on October 23rd, 2017, 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Water

Post by Water » October 23rd, 2017, 4:21 pm

thanks for explaining. peculiar circumstances.
Getting far afield from the Eagle Creek Fire and all.. but..I've seen some of your posts between the lines and such over the years, I think we perhaps share some personality traits (judging from afar, so take with grain of salt), but do you think you've had any roll in the '2 to tango' of either of your neighbor's wacky behaviors? The reason I ask is only that if I were in your shoes I'd probably be convinced I had done nothing, yet I'd find myself in a heated..situation, whereas someone with a personality like my wife's.. I couldn't even imagine being engaged in any kind of..tension with neighbors. Would have seen fireworks and forgot about them, or chose not to engage, etc. I don't say that as a judgement on right or wrongness whatsoever, to be clear.

If you haven't consider throwing the video on youtube and posting link on the local portland reddit. That can be a honeypot, if a story gain traction there often the newspapers/local tv will report on it--they consider it a source for news.

Wish you luck on a resolution. I'll stick with my neighbor's 40ft long shed right up against our urban-residential property line, breaking code, vs fireworks in my backyard in an area that can burn..
Feel Free to Feel Free

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 23rd, 2017, 5:08 pm

Water wrote:do you think you've had any roll in the '2 to tango' of either of your neighbor's wacky behaviors?
Good question. It goes back to the ice storm of 2012 when all the damage occurred on Wind Mountain. There was massive damage to Wind Mountain and the trail needed much work. So I went to gather the neighbors to try and organize a crew to fix the trail on Wind Mountain. I went to Tom's house and asked if we could work together. He said that he'd like to take down trees on a section of his property to accommodate his parties, he wanted me to help with that project. I said "sorry, no". He then asked me to get off his property. That was it..... it's been progressively worse ever since.

That is when I joined this group and found the help to clean up Wind Mountain. I so much appreciate Don Nelson and his helpers... they truly were wonderful people to work with!!

― J.R.R. Tolkien