Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
drm

Re: Eagle Creek Trail (Gorge) Closed by Fire (July 5)

Post by drm » September 22nd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Cranky Coot wrote:Not all maps are up to date, nor did the wilderness boundary signs on the trails get relocated.
Irony here. As a volunteer for the Forest Service who has recently had a focus on sign replacement, I was contacted by the wilderness ranger for the scenic area in late August to see if I was willing to help install a whole bunch of new wilderness boundary signs, presumably to correct the issue mentioned above. Presumably this has been put on hold for a long time, though I haven't heard back from him. I guess they will sit in a shed waiting for the right time to be installed.
wendyr wrote:I just wanted to point out that there is nothing new about this legislation and it was not necessarily speedily crafted but rather a general salvage logging bill that was adapted to fit the current circumstances of the Eagle Creek Fire.
Indeed, I stand corrected. Walden got an oped in my local newspaper that makes clear he has introduced it before.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » September 22nd, 2017, 12:53 pm

drm wrote:Indeed, I stand corrected. Walden got an oped in my local newspaper that makes clear he has introduced it before.
It's my understanding that he introduces the bill every fall when the leaves on the trees start to turn color, die and fall to the ground. Then what remains needs to be salvaged. :P
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

drm

Post by drm » September 22nd, 2017, 1:22 pm

One other thing. Walden just got an oped published in my local newspaper entitled: "We must act to prevent wildfires," as if some forest thinning is going to prevent a wildfire at the end of one of the hottest and driest summers on record when somebody throws burning material into the forest. Whatever the benefits or not of thinning, it is not going to "prevent" wildfires. I think at best it might help prevent spread into built-up areas, but as bad as the Eagle Creek fire was, it isn't because it destroyed a lot of private property. And that's the most practical benefit from thinning.

BigBear

Post by BigBear » September 25th, 2017, 11:56 am

Walden has never met a stump he does not love.

Some congressmen have simply taken too many drinks from the logging companies' PAC money trough.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » September 25th, 2017, 1:54 pm

BigBear wrote:Walden has never met a stump he does not love.
:lol: :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Cranky Coot

Post by Cranky Coot » September 25th, 2017, 3:43 pm

"I was contacted by the wilderness ranger for the scenic area in late August to see if I was willing to help install a whole bunch of new wilderness boundary signs, presumably to correct the issue mentioned above."

Was that 2017 or 2016? were you to replace the old signs, or put up new signs at the current (2009) boundary?

drm

Post by drm » September 26th, 2017, 7:48 am

Cranky Coot wrote:"I was contacted by the wilderness ranger for the scenic area in late August to see if I was willing to help install a whole bunch of new wilderness boundary signs, presumably to correct the issue mentioned above."

Was that 2017 or 2016? were you to replace the old signs, or put up new signs at the current (2009) boundary?
It was this year and they were new signs, but I don't know exactly where they were to be put up - just assuming it was for the (relatively) new boundaries.

markesc

Post by markesc » October 19th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Update: http://katu.com/news/local/15-year-old- ... tand-trial

"The boy was recently arraigned on several charges, including reckless burning, depositing burning materials on forest lands, unlawful possession of fireworks, criminal mischief and recklessly endangering other persons."

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 20th, 2017, 2:10 pm

I just drove through there

At one place it goes from 2 lanes to one lane each direction.

Where it merges, Saturday, about noon, east bound, there was a delay of about 30 minutes, no delay west bound.

On Friday (today) no delay either direction at noon.

There were a couple places where the fire burned to the edge of the road, otherwise it was sort of hard to know anything happened.

windmtnpete

Post by windmtnpete » October 22nd, 2017, 5:40 am

markesc wrote:Update: http://katu.com/news/local/15-year-old- ... tand-trial

"The boy was recently arraigned on several charges, including reckless burning, depositing burning materials on forest lands, unlawful possession of fireworks, criminal mischief and recklessly endangering other persons."
Isn't it ironic that they can hang this stupid kid for simply dropping a smoke bomb at the wrong place at the wrong time.... meanwhile we have idiots like my neighbor deliberately conducting criminal acts with much more destructive fireworks all summer in the Gorge with approval from our leaders? If you or I were to do the same criminal act we would be fined and thrown into the slammer... no question. Selective enforcement... this is what has gone so wrong in America. If you have enough money and power, you can get away with anything.
“Not all who wander are lost.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien