Elliott to remain public

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
ThePortlandeer

Elliott to remain public

Post by ThePortlandeer » May 10th, 2017, 7:00 am

This is great news! Thought it might warrant a thread on this forum. I've never hiked there, but I certainly plan on it.
Attachments
Elliott.JPG

Koda

Re: Elliott to remain public

Post by Koda » May 11th, 2017, 1:49 pm

the level of apathy in this forum is telling...

let me be the first to say this is a huge win for hikers and all Oregonians.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Limey

Post by Limey » May 11th, 2017, 4:54 pm

This really is excellent news, it made my day.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 11th, 2017, 6:41 pm

That is a huge win! I was sure it was going to get sold off. Even though I've never been there, I'm glad it didn't happen.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Steve20050

Elliot Forest Sale

Post by Steve20050 » May 12th, 2017, 3:32 am

I thought someone else might find this latest twist something positive.

http://www.capitalpress.com/Oregon/2017 ... ate-forest

retired jerry

Re: Elliot Forest Sale

Post by retired jerry » May 12th, 2017, 5:26 am

I heard that on NPR also

I can see how the state is obligated to use that land to finance public education, which is being squeezed from every direction. One consequence is they keep taking money from higher education, so tuition keeps rising faster than inflation - it's getting to be so expensive that a lot of people probably can't afford it, but now-a-days people need an education more than ever. Or they come out of college with huge loans that financially hobble them for years.

It seems like a reasonable compromise to preserve the most sensitive part of the forest, then come up with a plan with OSU foresters to log the rest in a responsible manner.

If they had just sold it, it probably would have just been all logged off quickly.

pdxgene

Re: Elliot Forest Sale

Post by pdxgene » May 12th, 2017, 7:34 am

I have to give them credit for a really good job of restoring the area /hiding the evidence of a big logging project right near the Pioneer-Indian Trail on Mt Hebo. What looked horrific last fall is only visible in a couple areas now and just a brief minor annoyance and that was with knowing it was there and actively looking for it. And they still weren't quite finished with the cleanup. You see it a bit more coming down just with the different sightline but it's still a pretty damn impressive job. Also this is NOT an old growth area. It's kinda nice that it works out that way once in a while at least...

Steve20050

Post by Steve20050 » May 12th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Thanks Portlandeer. I didn't see your post and thought this was of interest to folks here. While not opposed to some logging, I thought the original proposal wasn't in the public's interest. I am happy they are reviewing this issue.