Dog Mt avalanche buries Highway SR14

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Don Nelsen

Re: Dog Mt avalanche buries Highway SR14

Post by Don Nelsen » January 20th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Hopefully, someone will take this as a challenge and kick some good steps into the route. I may go back tomorrow and bring the proper equipment to get this job done. It was just 32 degrees when I was there and it doesn't look like it will get any warmer for several days.

Also: The main parking area still has not been plowed so bring a snow shovel. Also, the area at the south end of the parking area does not have good parking spots so bring a shovel or really good 4WD for that.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 20th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Guess my Sunday Eagle Creek plans are scrapped now! Wow...
That's funny, because my initial impression was "that looks like a worthy challenge!" :D But really, I suspect at this point it wouldn't be a good payoff for the effort. By Sunday it's likely the best of the ice will be gone, but the hassle of the snowy approach will still be there. Anyway, if the weather isn't too bad, I'll go do something. Eric, let us know what you decide on, if you're out there. Right now, the forecast is wacky, so I'm just watching to see what develops.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 20th, 2017, 9:53 pm

This is great:
At 10:47 Don posted
Hopefully, someone will take this as a challenge and kick some good steps into the route.
Meanwhile, at almost exactly the same time, I was typing
my initial impression was "that looks like a worthy challenge!
:lol:

But no, I suppose I'm more inclined to do something else. I'm toying with the idea of seeing how far I can get up Ruckel Ridge. There's no way I'd make it to the platter, but might be fun to shoot for the catwalk and the subsequent saddle.

Man, we're really far off-topic here. :?

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » January 21st, 2017, 5:59 am

Chip Down wrote: But no, I suppose I'm more inclined to do something else. I'm toying with the idea of seeing how far I can get up Ruckel Ridge. There's no way I'd make it to the platter, but might be fun to shoot for the catwalk and the subsequent saddle.
Up Ruckel Creek, cross the Platter, down Benson-Eagle cutoff and over to Tunnel Falls. Return itinerary is up to you :)

romann

Post by romann » January 22nd, 2017, 12:16 am

Good point, Chip! I did double-check with him on news story photo and he thinks it's the one he visited on a call. Might be there was something at Wind Mtn, and Dog? Or maybe the visibility was too bad and he was confused of location? (I do trust his knowledge of local landmarks, he's been living in the Gorge his entire life.) But I don't like posting information that comes from someone else so will probably make it a rule, if I can't go there and look, will not post.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 1st, 2017, 8:07 pm

romann wrote:Good point, Chip! I did double-check with him on news story photo and he thinks it's the one he visited on a call. Might be there was something at Wind Mtn, and Dog? Or maybe the visibility was too bad and he was confused of location? (I do trust his knowledge of local landmarks, he's been living in the Gorge his entire life.) But I don't like posting information that comes from someone else so will probably make it a rule, if I can't go there and look, will not post.
The big "drift" is at the base of Dog Mt. I went up there and measured it and it was 17 feet high at the hwy fog line. It is the usual graupel-like/ice pellet creation common in the gorge under the conditions we have had this past month or so. Not a slide, not a snow drift, just ice pellets that flowed down the slopes very quickly in the middle of the night and completely covered the road.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller