selling off federal lands: part 2

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Rand Man

Re: selling off federal lands: part 2

Post by Rand Man » January 27th, 2017, 12:39 pm

miah66 wrote:
Rand Man wrote:
miah66 wrote: Interesting because that first actual transfer may be 35-50 million acres all at once, just in Oregon.
What's your source? I was under the impression that the feds owned less 35 million acres in Oregon, let alone 50 million.
I linked my source. I also edited to show 31.4M acres.

Important to note: "In state hands, everything else would come second to generating income from these lands."
I didn't/don't see anything in your source [http://sportsmensaccess.org/wp-content/ ... oregon.pdf] about 35-50 million acres, nor the all-at-once possibility. Do you have a source for 35-50 and for all-at-once?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2017, 5:24 pm

miah66 wrote:I honestly don't know why this issue isn't as controversial as unleashed dogs and cairns.
Honestly? I can't think of a less controversial topic for this group's membership!

Why would anyone who enjoys hiking be in favor of such things?

People only argue about things they disagree on. (Generally. Sometimes, it's just fun, but I digress... :twisted: )
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Koda

Post by Koda » January 27th, 2017, 5:31 pm

kepPNW wrote:Honestly? I can't think of a less controversial topic for this group's membership!
thats a good point. I guess I was hoping to see a string of simple replies along these lines....... :

Done

signed

Signed, thanks for posting this...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 27th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Koda wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Honestly? I can't think of a less controversial topic for this group's membership!
thats a good point. I guess I was hoping to see a string of simple replies along these lines....... :

Done

signed

That's where a Like button could be really helpful. I don't think most folks here like to clutter a thread with that <AOL> staple, "Me too!" response. I acted on it, but didn't respond, and bet that's what most have done.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » January 27th, 2017, 6:23 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Koda wrote:

Done

signed

That's where a Like button could be really helpful. I don't think most folks here like to clutter a thread with that <AOL> staple, "Me too!" response. I acted on it, but didn't respond, and bet that's what most have done.

"Like"

Koda

Post by Koda » January 27th, 2017, 6:50 pm

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Rand Man

Post by Rand Man » January 29th, 2017, 2:21 pm

From the AAAS, American Association for the Advancement of Science, "an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people":
Zinke, up for for Dept Interior (BLM, NPS, USFWS)

Congressman Ryan Zinke, a geologist and former Navy SEAL in his first term as Montana's at-large representative, is a member of the Natural Resources Committee. He opposed the Interior Department's moratorium on new coal leases on public lands and said that its rule to reduce methane emissions by oil and gas operations on public lands was unnecessary. He has a track record of supporting land conservation, voting against a budget because it sold public lands, and even resigned as a delegate to the RNC this summer because the party platform included language calling for the sale of public lands. Zinke has also opposed efforts by House Natural Resources Chairman Rob Bishop (R-Utah) to transfer land and other GOP measures to hand over millions of acres of public land from the U.S. Forest Service to the state.

https://www.aaas.org/first100days/trump ... n#interior
Perdue, up for Dept Agriculture (USFS)

Born and raised in Georgia, the 70-year-old veterinarian served as a state senator for 10 years beginning in 1991. In 2003, he became Georgia's first Republican governor since Reconstruction. After departing the governorship in 2011, Perdue founded Perdue Partners — an Atlanta-based company that deals in global trade and focuses on the exporting of U.S. goods.

https://www.aaas.org/first100days/trump ... ation#agri