hiker struck by lightning in Forest Park

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.

Charley

Re: hiker struck by lightning in Forest Park

Post by Charley » June 9th, 2012, 4:08 pm

I was up in Washington Park doing a mock rescue scenario (hot air balloon crash) with my WFR class when this storm happened. It went from being kind of gray and drippy to a downpour with hail, all in the space of a minute or two. Meanwhile, we were trying to keep our "injured" classmates dry and comfortable while they were getting assessed and "treated". It definitely added a realistic touch of craziness to the scenario. I wonder if the thunder was audible over in Washington Park.

It's pretty crazy to think that someone could get hit by lightning in such an optimally safe place as Forest Park. Unless he was carrying a giant metal pole or something. Good to hear he's okay, though!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

bcostley

Re: hiker struck by lightning in Forest Park

Post by bcostley » June 11th, 2012, 11:11 am

Charley wrote:I was up in Washington Park doing a mock rescue scenario (hot air balloon crash) with my WFR class when this storm happened.
I would have thought a hot air balloon crash was a pretty odd thing to train for (except perhaps for the Albequerque area) expect that I had just seen this article before reading your post:

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/st ... 45C9A.cspx