Home  •   Field Guide  •   Forums  •   Unread Posts  •   Maps  •   Find a Hike!  •    Register  •   Search  •  
Jump to:  
Login  | 

Board index » Trail Talk » Hiking in the News

Post subject: Exploratory Mining near MSH approved
 Post Posted: February 9th, 2018, 9:35 am 

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but my searching didn't turn up an immediately related thread. Anyway, this sucks:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2018/feb/ ... st-helens/

(I updated the title to better reflect the situation - didn't intend to sensationalize).

Post subject: Re: Exploratory Mining near MSH approved
 Post Posted: February 9th, 2018, 5:23 pm 

Actually the Columbian article is misleading too. They are just drilling holes at this point. Not mining. I see in the article where they are looking for 'copper, gold and molybdenum'. I didn't even know what molybdenum was but I guess it's used in certain steel making processes and can be extracted during copper mining. I would be really nervous if they actually found copper that could be mined. I have seen the gigantic open pit copper mine in Wyoming and it is ugly.

Post subject: Re: Exploratory Mining near MSH approved
 Post Posted: February 9th, 2018, 8:57 pm 

Well, they're doing it because there is copper there. Between the Lewis River and the Green River, there were about 500 prospectors working in the 1890s, with several thousand feet of adits. Spirit Lake was even used to barge copper ore closer to the railroad. It was mostly low grade stuff, and extraction methods were so inefficient they left a lot behind. There was a trading post at Langes Crest, just below the Spillover. Perhaps they think they can do it better with 21st century technology. They're staying outside of the NVM.

Board index » Trail Talk » Hiking in the News