Woman falls 300' at Abiqua Falls

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
miah66

Re: Woman falls 300' at Abiqua Falls

Post by miah66 » July 1st, 2015, 8:26 am

Jerry,

I'll admit I used a combination of field guide and "afoot & afield" and "Sullivans 100 hikes" books to get there. When I actually was there, though, there were several paths that went in multiple directions and I hastily picked the closest one and that was my mistake. There were several warnings in the literature, but honestly, there's no way to really know which path to NOT take. I kept expecting to see ropes as I descended, but it never happened. I should've turned back, but it was so steep that I didn't think I could get back up. Hopefully my mapped route will help others not make my mistake. I'm still not sure where this person fell, but my money is on the same area I went.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

retired jerry

Re: Woman falls 300' at Abiqua Falls

Post by retired jerry » July 1st, 2015, 8:44 am

ha, ha,... that's the problem. I'll start on some route, it gets sketchy, but I'm committed so I just continue even though it get's progressively more dangerous.

Yet, here I am typing so I guess I didn't take too big a chance :)

Anyone should scope things out as they go along and turn around if it gets dangerous. Guide books just give some clues. I wouldn't feel too bad if someone read field guide and then got into trouble. But I like to put a warning in whenever someone has a problem. Might prevent someone getting hurt.