Yikes!! Traction devices needed!!

Use this forum to post links to news stories from other websites - ones that other hikers might find interesting. This is not intended for original material or anecdotal information. You can reply to any news stories posted, but do not start a new thread without a link to a specific news story.
Lekilei253

Yikes!! Traction devices needed!!

Post by Lekilei253 » March 10th, 2015, 6:52 pm

That's some serious ice in the Grand Canyon!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/GrandCanyonNat ... 33403262:0

Peder

Re: Yikes!! Traction devices needed!!

Post by Peder » March 12th, 2015, 7:04 am

Yikes indeed! Sometimes it is a good idea to turn around and come back amother day. Those two guys do not look comfortable. :(
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

BigBear

Post by BigBear » March 22nd, 2015, 4:28 pm

I cannot think of a valid reason these two hikers are on an steep, icy & exposed trail descending into Grand Canyon. Personally, I would forbid anyone from rescuing them when they slip and fall. It is an incredibly selfish act to hope for someone to risk their life when you don't have a basic level of respect for your own life. I sense a thinning of the gene pool may be in order.

Thank you for sharing the photo. It never ceases to amaze me how much risk some people are willing to take for little or no gain.

forester

Post by forester » March 24th, 2015, 6:22 am

Those aren't even "hikers", they're just dudes. Hikers don't wear Nikes. The closer of the 3 people looks like he's going to gym class, not hiking into the Grand Canyon. In my best Ren voice: "Steempy! You stoopid eeedeeote!"

Some good comments below on that post. My favorite is this:
"What happened to Steve?" "He slipped on some ice into the Grand Canyon!" "....Is he okay?" "No..."

drm

Post by drm » April 24th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Ah, come on, Look at all those pebbles embedded in the ice.

Somebody mentioned an ice axe in the comments on the lined site. I'm not that experienced with them, but would one really help so much on this kind of ice? Can you self-arrest on water ice? I thionk you need snow in order to penetrate far enough.

Peder

Post by Peder » April 25th, 2015, 4:41 pm

drm wrote:Ah, come on, Look at all those pebbles embedded in the ice.

Somebody mentioned an ice axe in the comments on the lined site. I'm not that experienced with them, but would one really help so much on this kind of ice? Can you self-arrest on water ice? I thionk you need snow in order to penetrate far enough.
What you need is a pair of crampons! An ice axe is mainly cosmetic in that situation.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…