Devil's Staircase 2014?

Post your plans for upcoming hikes and invite others! Look for hiking partners
retired jerry

Re: Devil's Staircase 2014?

Post by retired jerry » March 26th, 2014, 3:49 pm

The only specific directions I found were driving from South (highway 38). I think you drive to those roads that are about 1 mile east of Devil's Staircase

switchbacks.com has pretty detailed maps with some BLM road numbers. I can sort of follow those specific directions.

Somehow, I think the more common drive is from the north, from the Smith River Road.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » March 26th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Maybe the route that DeFazio, Merkley and some of their family members used would be one to seriously consider. If we could find out what it was. I wouldn't think the Congressional lifestyle in D.C. would lead them to take the longest and hardest route. And I just can't help but feel that if they made it, it's at least somewhat doable for amateurs..

Guy

Post by Guy » March 26th, 2014, 6:41 pm

pdxgene wrote:Maybe the route that DeFazio, Merkley and some of their family members used would be one to seriously consider. If we could find out what it was. I wouldn't think the Congressional lifestyle in D.C. would lead them to take the longest and hardest route. And I just can't help but feel that if they made it, it's at least somewhat doable for amateurs..
Very true Gene, thought they may have traveled there in one of these ;)

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 26th, 2014, 7:34 pm

I called the BLM and USFS this afternoon and they said this is what trips into the canyon usually look like(apparently Guy and I have already been)

Koda

Post by Koda » March 26th, 2014, 9:09 pm

pdxgene wrote:Maybe the route that DeFazio, Merkley and some of their family members used would be one to seriously consider. If we could find out what it was. I wouldn't think the Congressional lifestyle in D.C. would lead them to take the longest and hardest route. And I just can't help but feel that if they made it, it's at least somewhat doable for amateurs..
They had Oregonwild as a guide. Anyone with reasonable fitness and a guide can make it. Maybe Oregonwild would tell Portland hikers the route if you asked but i doubt it, you could ask them though and they might take you themselves they have done trips in the past. Until then, I would pick the shortest route with the least EG. IMO the south route described earlier in a link....

lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » March 29th, 2014, 9:50 am

Nice Koda, that's pretty much the way I was planning on going just from looking at GE. I read a few reports about getting here and there were issues with the road a few years back. Does anyone know how they are? I would prefer to take my car but if the roads are bad I have a 4x4 I could take. I'm up for a group trip. :)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 29th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Just got caught up reading this thread and am getting really excited for this possible trip.

Although the BLM warning of "your vehicle will get scratched by vegetation" certainly brought my excitement level down a few notches :(

Helen

Post by Helen » March 29th, 2014, 7:01 pm

-Q- wrote:Just got caught up reading this thread and am getting really excited for this possible trip.

Although the BLM warning of "your vehicle will get scratched by vegetation" certainly brought my excitement level down a few notches :(
Yes, I could take my 2003 Honda CRV instead of the 2014 Subaru Outback. Both cars have a high clearance but are not 4x4. The CRV is dented from tree limbs falling on it so it is a perfect trailhead car.

miah66

Post by miah66 » March 31st, 2014, 12:02 pm

I see that Oregon Wild is making a return to this area with an organized outing on May 31, 2014. It isn't the waterfall area, rather they are going to "Dark Grove".

http://www.oregonwild.org/about/hikes_e ... ark-grove/
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

Guy

Post by Guy » March 31st, 2014, 3:19 pm

I'm going to be busy with Family most of June but I'm still up for a trip in May if anyone else is up for that.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors