Greetings!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Brian95

Greetings!

Post by Brian95 » June 25th, 2018, 10:28 am

Hello all!

Long time lurker here, first time poster! I'm a 20-something native Portlander with a love for hiking. Due to college and graduate school I'm not able to spend much time in Oregon itself nowadays, but come back at every break and opportunity I get.

My biggest regret from when I was younger was not getting out to the more remote places in Oregon. Most of my hiking time was spent near the Portland area, at trails such as Larch Mountain and Hamilton Mountain. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to hike trails such as Tanner Butte and Moffett Creek before the Eagle Creek fire.

Last summer I was planning to do the Tanner-Eagle traverse, but put it off until this year due to the abnormally hot temperatures in August when I was back in Oregon. Needless to say, I now regret that decision! I'm young enough that the Gorge should mostly recover in my lifetime, but it will still be a long time before it resembles what it was like before. On the bright side, the closure gives me more of a reason to find other nice areas to hike!

Thanks to everyone here for providing such a great resources for people such as myself. The field guide and trip reports especially are useful for planning hikes, and this is also the go-to place I come for news nowadays. Cheers!

Schrauf

Re: Greetings!

Post by Schrauf » July 3rd, 2018, 5:31 pm

Cool - even now the Gorge is slowly opening up, and if nothing else provides some interesting hiking opportunities. With all the rain in the winter, hopefully those trees start growing again quickly.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 3rd, 2018, 10:51 pm

Glad you introduced yourself Brian! So are you in town for the summer?

Brian95

Post by Brian95 » July 4th, 2018, 6:44 pm

jeffstatt wrote:
July 3rd, 2018, 10:51 pm
Glad you introduced yourself Brian! So are you in town for the summer?
Thank you! Not at the moment, but I was in town until last week and will be back again later. I had time to hike Nick Eaton last weekend; it was quite foggy but I think it ended up making the hike even better. You couldn't even see to the tops of the trees. Also trying to get out more on the various Mount Hood National Forest trails when I'm back later.