Visiting from Australia - Timberline Trail

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
mulgravelad

Re: Visiting from Australia - Timberline Trail

Post by mulgravelad » June 11th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Further to earlier reply. It takes some getting my head around having to factor in about snow in last month of summer. Quite unusual down here in Oz as we don't have the elevations you do in the US.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » June 11th, 2018, 8:30 pm

mulgravelad wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 3:34 pm
Further to earlier reply. It takes some getting my head around having to factor in about snow in last month of summer. Quite unusual down here in Oz as we don't have the elevations you do in the US.
Yeah, but here's the weird thing: We have some states with elevations above 14,000 feet, but some of them get less snow (maybe it's deep, but it melts out fast). In contrast, in Washington, the next state to the north, we still have glaciers down to 3500' (but also above 14k). Even on Hood, I've been among trees and have looked down on a glacier. And I've hiked in fresh snow in August! But you have glaciers over there too, at least in NZ, right? Oh, and to clarify, it's not the last month of summer, we're days away from the end of spring. Not sure if you got confused, or knew that but mis-typed. ;)

NickingUp

Post by NickingUp » June 13th, 2018, 9:15 am

Heyyy another Aussie here. :)
I've been living here and there and rarely home in the past few years. Haven't get to go back to Tassie yet. My first time was visiting dad's mate in Hobart when I was little. Now I got Overland Track on top 10 of my list. 8-)
Wander around, look up to the sky and let my feet feel the earth.