Hey there.

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
OregonianRager

Hey there.

Post by OregonianRager » May 7th, 2018, 7:11 am

Hello fellow hiking people, my name is Ian, and I'm originally from the Big Island of Hawaii. I grew up near the National Park and did alot of hiking and outdoor stuff as a child. Little bit of family car camping etc. I moved here to Oregon when i was 18, and started really hiking and then backpacking finally around 21. Well safe to say at 31, I'm frickin hooked. I've done alot of trails in the Mt Hood Wilderness, some snow camping and a few multi day trips. I did the Timberline Trail 2 years ago, and last year with fire licking at our heels, we finished the Sisters Loop a day or so before they closed the thing down.

I'd probably classify myself as an experience backpacker, but I'm not really into alot of the UL stuff, as my trail name seems to have surfaced as the pack mule, being that I tend to carry in probably 10 lbs more then the rest of people do (craft beer, gotta have it), i'm more of the type to enjoy creature comforts. That said I am constantly upgrading my gear to lighter things, that are more of the quality.

Baltoro 75 is my pack of choice, and I recently picked up some Altra Timp Trails. Holy cow, foot heaven, couldn't recommend more after using beginner to mid-level boots, i got the real deal and I'm never looking back. I like getting creative with meals on the trails, freezing meat and things to have real nice campfire meals, as campfire season is my preferred time to get on the trails due to populations being a bit lower, and mosquitoes non-existent usually.

My one shame i will say is getting lost at Olallie lake for 2 hours last year with my group of guys I usually backpack the rugged stuff with. We were trying to do the loop in May, and the snowpack was so very very high. We lost the trail looping back to the PCT and were in the darkest woods, with the tallest snow drifts I've seen in my life. It was treacherous and thankfully we had a map and compass, did some triangulation, and eventually up on a higher elevation we got some cell phone gps and tracked to the PCT, which was clearly marked and got our way back. So in essence we did the loop our own way, plus a few hours. Look forward to seeing you all on the trails and hearing your stories. Cheers!

Aimless

Re: Hey there.

Post by Aimless » May 8th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Welcome to the forums. I saw your highly useful trip report for Badger Creek. Thanks, that was good work!

Although the emphasis around here tends to stay on day-hikes, the community also has some backpackers, myself included. Later in the season we should start getting some reports on backpack trips from around the PNW, so please feel free to make use of the info and add yours to the general pile.

K.Wagner

Re: Hey there.

Post by K.Wagner » May 18th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Welcome Ian!

Which side of HVNP did you live? Hilo side or South Point side?

(We lived Kailua-Kona mauka for almost 5 years. We loved our time there, but I was ready to leave when we did.)
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"