New to the backpacking world.

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
dunnman1981

New to the backpacking world.

Post by dunnman1981 » January 4th, 2018, 9:51 am

Hello! My name is Jason and I'm very new to the world of backpacking as I've only done one overnight trip. I've gone on plenty of day hikes over the years but never an overnight backpack trip until recently (Point Reyes National Seashore). I'm a firefighter with the US Forest Service so summer backpack trips more than a single night are pretty much out of the question. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for multi day overnight trips in the PNW that I could do during the spring, fall or winter. Thank you so much for your time!!

retired jerry

Re: New to the backpacking world.

Post by retired jerry » January 4th, 2018, 10:12 am

click on "field guide" at upper left, then "winter and spring backpacks"

I did a couple nights at Point Reyes, nice place although quite a few people

justpeachy

Re: New to the backpacking world.

Post by justpeachy » January 4th, 2018, 11:15 am

Here is the link jerry was talking about: http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... ackpacking

Winter and spring options are limited, but fall can be a good time for backpacking. It really depends on the year, though. As a firefighter you know that autumn can be a very smoky season with a lot of trails closed due to wildfires, as happened this past fall. And then of course a freak autumn snowstorm can put a kibosh on plans too.

A good multi-day autumn trip is the Three Sisters Loop, but that one may have been affected by the fires this past year, not sure. The Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood is also good.