new hiker seeks advice

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
cleo

new hiker seeks advice

Post by cleo » October 17th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Hey all! I'm very new to hiking and camping. I'm originally from Oakland but I grew up in Las Vegas (glad to be out of there and living in the PNW now!). I'm not sure exactly how I got interested in hiking to be totally honest. I think I just realized that I'm living in a beautiful place full of great camping spots so I should probably start taking advantage of that. I suppose the idea of getting away from the city every now and then to spend some time hanging out with plants is really appealing to me :)

I've done a few shorter hikes and I've gone camping in established campsites a few times but I've never been backpacking which I would really like to start doing. I was able to get most of my gear from a friend so I'm ready to go I just need to find a good spot to start with. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good spot that's not to busy in the Tillamook state forest for an overnight stay. I'd like to start with an easy hike that's not too long. If anyone has anywhere in mind I'd really appreciate the advice! :D

justpeachy

Re: new hiker seeks advice

Post by justpeachy » October 18th, 2017, 6:29 am

Welcome! Backpacking is certainly very rewarding and there's nothing like waking up in the quiet backcountry after a good night's sleep.

Unfortunately, unless you want to get into camping in the snow, backpacking season is mostly behind us at this point in the year. One suggestion would be the Salmon River Trail, which is low enough that it's not under snow yet.

I'm not that familiar with the Tillamook State Forest. It's been heavily clearcut and tends to be a playground for ATVs so I don't think of it as a place to go for backpacking. Maybe the Gales Creek Trail?

Wherever you go, have fun! :D

Kerraeb

Re: new hiker seeks advice

Post by Kerraeb » February 23rd, 2018, 9:36 am

For my first ever backpacking trip I chose an area I knew well. I was going solo, so I didn't want to worry about route finding.

I parked at the Elk Mtn campground lot (you have to park by Hwy 6 and hike in a short distance in the off season) and went to the King's Mtn trailhead then UP King's and down the traverse to camp in a wide spot where the trails converge, then down the backside of Elk.

When the snow is gone, it will be doable. I wouldn't do that way right now.

However, for an easier way, take the Elk Creek trail to the same convergence of trails (just under 5 miles and a gentle incline) and camp there, then go back the way you came the next day. There will be snow probably around the 2.5-3 mile mark. (there was in early Nov) This is a good thing, because there is very little water past that point and you'll have snow to melt.

It's a well established trail and is an old logging road near the end, so it's wide and easy to find your way.
Some days are diamonds, some days are stones.