Greetings from Wilsonville

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
pushthelimits

Greetings from Wilsonville

Post by pushthelimits » September 13th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum.

My name is Bonnie. I'm originally from NW Washington state (Sumas). I lived there and all over west-central Washington until I was about 9 years old, then grew up in Boise, Idaho and lived there for 23 years. I loved hiking in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area in Idaho.

I moved to SE Portland in 2007. I was there for 7 years, and I've been in Wilsonville for 3 years now.

I've been hiking since I could walk. I was raised by one tree-hugging survivalist backpacker and one hunter/fisherman, so I have plenty of experience being outside. :) I hug trees.

However, with having kids and going to college as an adult, I became very busy and out of shape and suffered a severe back injury. I've since fully recovered from surgery, lost 72 pounds, and have been hiking A LOT. I'm trail running now as well.

My favorite go-to trails for hiking/running are the Multnomah-Wahkeena loop and the Trail of Ten Falls at SFSP.

My to-do list:
- McNeil Point (finish it this time-- last time I was *so close*)
- Dog Mountain
- Angel's Rest
- Devil's Rest
- Saddle Mountain
- Rock of Ages (again - a friend and I did it this summer)
- Mt. Defiance

I'd love to someday TRY the Triple D, but that might be a pipe dream at my age (42). Haha.
Obviously the Gorge trails will have to wait. :(

I just joined Trailkeepers of Oregon and Friends of the Columbia Gorge. I signed up with both for volunteering to help clean up and rebuild the trails. I can only work weekends, but I am very much looking forward to that.

Oh yeah, one more thing-- I'm happy to hike with others, but I usually go alone because I'm a very, VERY early riser and like to get out there at the crack of dawn to avoid crowds. I am lucky to have found an early riser hiking buddy this summer. I'm also an introvert, so I do need a good portion of my hikes alone. :)

Charley

Re: Greetings from Wilsonville

Post by Charley » September 13th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Welcome! Triple D. . . you have a higher tolerance for pain than I!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

pushthelimits

Post by pushthelimits » September 13th, 2017, 9:57 pm

Nothing I've hiked-- ever-- was as painful as that L4-L5 disc herniation.

But don't confuse masochism with pain tolerance! ;) Haha.

I doubt I'll be able to do it, but I can sure try.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » September 16th, 2017, 10:06 am

I'd love to someday TRY the Triple D, but that might be a pipe dream at my age (42).

If you plan and prepare carefully, your age should not be as much of an obstacle as you might think. I was out of shape from my mid-thirties to my late forties, but since then I have worked myself back into good shape and at my age (62) I find I am hiking as strongly as at any time in my life. The most elevation gain and loss I've ever done in a day was at age 49 and the most miles in a day was at age 59. So, if you can spare the time to bring your body up to its peak condition (admittedly a big challenge), your age shouldn't be a factor.

Happy hiking!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 19th, 2017, 11:58 am

welcome

to add to your list - Barret Spur, Paradise Park and go up from there past split rock, Cooper Spur.

we could go on on Three Sisters, Jefferson, Adams, and Goat Rocks...

DetourEarth

Post by DetourEarth » October 4th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Hi Bonnie,
I'm in Wilsonville too. I have two small kids so I'm hanging close to home but I go out a few times per week for a couple of miles. We usually hit Tualatin River National Wildlife Refuge, Tryon Creek, and of course Graham Oaks all the time. I'm starting to look into Forest Park. I enjoy more challenging hikes too, but haven't done much as we just moved to Oregon, then everything burned. I'm sure I'll see you around.

PS: Also introvert-ish.
⇝ ᴄ ʜ ʀ ɪ s ⇜

"The Earth has music for those who listen."
☽✪☾

tennisref

Post by tennisref » November 12th, 2017, 10:08 am

Hello!

I think you've joined a great community here! I'm new to the forum, but have been using the website to plan my hikes for at least a decade.

Like you, I'm an introvert and prefer hiking alone. I used to only go hiking with other people, but realized that I didn't get out hiking enough, so started going alone a few year back. In fact, I really started hiking a lot trying to lose weight and avoid running on hard surfaces which had caused a stress fracture.

At any rate you will love Angel's Rest/Devil's Rest trails once we are able to get back out there. Do them both on the same day!. After finally losing 100lbs, that was the hike I did to test my limits.

And don't forget that there's more hiking places than just in the Gorge!
Peace, Love & Happiness
~tennisref