Regular Visitor to Mt. Hood

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Word Nerd

Regular Visitor to Mt. Hood

Post by Word Nerd » July 9th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I have been using this site for many years to find hikes when we are in OR, and I decided it was time to register and participate! I am from Dallas, TX and my husband and I have been coming to the Mt. Hood area every year for the past 10 years. We love to hike and last year did our first backpacking in OR (husband had previously done the Grand Canyon rim to rim). We are planning to do the Timberline Trail at the beginning of August this year. I'm hoping to see a few more trail reports here before we go.

retired jerry

Re: Regular Visitor to Mt. Hood

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2017, 1:18 pm

welcome

first of August a little early for Timberline trail this year - places where it's hard to find trail under snow, possibly steep icy places, lots of stream flow to make crossings difficult

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » July 9th, 2017, 2:19 pm

We have been watching the snow levels. We were trying to come in September, but we have four kids and the only time we could get childcare for them was August this year. We tried last year in July and were stopped by blow down, so I am crossing my fingers that you guys will continue to have warm weather and the snow will melt. We will work on a plan B, just in case, though.

Anyway, I am counting on all you locals to keep sharing the current conditions so we can stay on top of our planning!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2017, 2:28 pm

yeah, there will be more trip reports before then

in September you can cross streams without getting boots wet, not so in August maybe, but that's not the end of the world. Maybe wear breathable shoes rather than boots so they quickly drain water and dry out after a while.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2017, 2:29 pm

Three Sisters is another good hike. The stream crossings are easier.

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » July 9th, 2017, 3:00 pm

retired jerry wrote:in September you can cross streams without getting boots wet, not so in August maybe, but that's not the end of the world. Maybe wear breathable shoes rather than boots so they quickly drain water and dry out after a while.
We aren't afraid of getting wet, just getting washed downstream, LOL! We bring hiking sandals and change out of our shoes before any water crossing that looks to be more than a couple rock hops. I think the crossings we haven't done on day hikes before are Ladd, Coe, Eliot, and White. (I recognize those are some of the hardest ones...) We don't have too much experience on the N side of the mountain, so we will plan to be prepared to ford but willing to bail or turn around. I'm guessing that is the required mindset in snowy years.

I appreciate your insight!

Word Nerd

Post by Word Nerd » July 9th, 2017, 3:05 pm

retired jerry wrote:Three Sisters is another good hike. The stream crossings are easier.
Thanks for the suggestion. We'll research it as a "Plan B" option.