Hello Everyone

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Damian

Hello Everyone

Post by Damian » March 30th, 2017, 6:33 pm

I'm just writing to say "Hello." I'm getting myself back into backpacking more regularly after a couple years off. I'm still learning how to navigate this site a bit, but so far I've already found so much useful information here. Thank you to everyone who contributes.

I look forward to more trail time this season and hopefully I be able help with any information that I may have on the trips I complete.

Best,
Damian

retired jerry

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by retired jerry » March 31st, 2017, 5:34 am

welcome

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 31st, 2017, 9:32 am

Welcome.

Great that you are getting back into backpacking. Unfortunately, unless we start getting some warm weather fairly soon, this year will be a very paltry year for backpacking in the Oregon high country. The entire west coast has been slammed with heavy snow. I haven't checked the Rockies states, yet, because I never get that far afield. They may be under a ton of snow, too. :(

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 31st, 2017, 11:13 am

I'm not so sure

In July when it gets hot, snow melts rapidly. Even if there's twice as much snow it won't take twice as long to melt. Might be a couple weeks later than normal

Aimless

Post by Aimless » March 31st, 2017, 3:51 pm

I can't recall if it was 1998 or another year in that vicinity when residual snowbanks were covering trails at 6000 ft in the Cascades even in mid-August. Sometimes the snow just stays around forever.