Hello

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
RoseRed

Hello

Post by RoseRed » March 8th, 2017, 3:42 pm

I am originally from Northern California, but have lived most of my life in Oregon.
I have been camping and hiking most of my life, but did my first overnight backpack with my daughter in 2009, right before she went to basic training. We hiked the Opal Creek Trail to Cedar Flats. We carried all our water, Coleman full size sleeping bags in metal full frame packs that I picked up at a garage sale for free. I was hooked.
Since then I have picked up more current gear. I am map savvy but a GPS still eludes me, even though I own one...
I love getting off trail. No offense to anyone, but the fewer people I see the better.
I have a group of 4 friends and we try to hike at least a day hike every month.
The longest trip was on the N.U.T. in September 2015. Miller Lake to Apple Creek Campground. 8 days and the hardest thing I have ever done (so far). I would love to do some longer hikes in the future.
I have used this website in the past as a resource.
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to share their experiences.
Not all those who wander are lost ~ J.R.R.Tolkien

retired jerry

Re: Hello

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2017, 4:21 pm

welcome!

I too am a fan of Tolkien, but it was the books way before the movies, although they're actually pretty good :)

RoseRed

Re: Hello

Post by RoseRed » March 9th, 2017, 11:36 am

Thanks for the Welcome!
Not all those who wander are lost ~ J.R.R.Tolkien