Trekker in Training

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
sandig

Trekker in Training

Post by sandig » February 22nd, 2017, 4:50 pm

I’ve lived in Oregon for 35 years, have always liked the outdoors, but haven’t paid a whole lot of attention to my surroundings. I used to say that Yes, I’m a hiker. But in reality, I was walking through suburban areas with trees. I know better now. I used to wait on either one or both of my sister’s schedules in order to have company on a less-than-average hike. Then last fall, to get away from some stressful situations, and tired of waiting on a sister, I ventured out on my own. I discovered hiking. I started with Eagle Creek (up to the then broken bridge) and then Wahkeena/Multnomah Falls Loop (which took me awhile, since I’m still out of shape).

Then I came across this forum site and have longingly loitered. I have absolutely loved reading the trip reports posted by forum members. I have come to the realization that there is SO much out there to see.

I am excited to get started on my exploration efforts this year.

I live in West Linn, OR
Semi-Beginner level: 5-8 miles, but I’m always up for a challenge
I would love to partner up with others; love meeting new people!

-Sandy

dikkeknodel

Re: Trekker in Training

Post by dikkeknodel » February 22nd, 2017, 5:09 pm

Welcome Sandy. Enjoy the great outdoors!

The bridge is going to be repaired soon, but it seems there's more to repair from the following Eagle Creek Trip report
Keep hiking!

Peder

Re: Trekker in Training

Post by Peder » February 23rd, 2017, 10:10 pm

Welcome Sandy - remember to check out your local hiking: The Camassia Nature area & the Wilderness Park make for a good loop, as does the Canemah Wilderness across the river (both 2+ miles). There are lots of other parks close to West Linn, page down to "West Linn" here. Soon the days will be long enough for a hike after work... This is a list of hikes you could aim for, though most are summer hikes. The last one is a favorite winter hike of mine, though it can be muddy and the parking fee is now an exorbitant $10.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…