departure

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Rand Man

departure

Post by Rand Man » February 8th, 2017, 12:54 am

I received an anonymous PM from the moderators that my posts are not welcome. Bye

retired jerry

Re: departure

Post by retired jerry » February 8th, 2017, 5:34 am

I believe you were asked to not just post a bunch of links, but have more discussion

Curiously, it seems like you were doing that. I thought you had taken that to heart. Also, several other people have posted suggestions for what you post.

Personally, I'm not into strong moderation, although once xxxx had put the F word into a post which I edited and then apologized to xxxx for doing. Not a big deal, I just happened to notice it :)

The internet is a strange place :)

Guy

Post by Guy » February 8th, 2017, 8:32 am

This is very disappointing to hear.

The Posts were not offensive if people didn't like the content why couldn't they just ignore them?

[EDIT]

I just searched Randman's posts many generated multiple replies and discussion. Are there new posting rules or a common OH mantra that we are all supposed to follow now?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 8th, 2017, 9:11 am

"Are there new posting rules or a common OH mantra that we are all supposed to follow now?"

He was asked to not just post a bunch of links, but have more discussion

But it was just a comment to him, not official rules pronouncement

5th

Post by 5th » February 8th, 2017, 9:37 am

I am disappointed as well. Even when his posts were link-only they were relevant and interesting. Perhaps the admins forget that when you broaden your audience to the entire state, you inevitably take on new members with strongly different perspectives. I know my opinions on a number of topics will typically differ from those of someone from a city like Portland, but then again this isn't a Portland-specific forum anymore. <shrug>

---

Also:

"I received an anonymous PM from the moderators that my posts are not welcome"

IMO if this is true this represents completely inappropriate behavior from a moderator. Moderators can take responsibility for their own opinions or they should not be moderators. An anonymous PM is not moderation, it is intimidation.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 8th, 2017, 10:03 am

I had nothing to do with this, but the PM did not say he wasn't welcome

It asked that he put more than just links

Put some discussion

He started doing that regardless of any PM from any moderator

And it wasn't a demand, just a request

Guy

Post by Guy » February 8th, 2017, 10:19 am

retired jerry wrote:
He started doing that regardless of any PM from any moderator

And it wasn't a demand, just a request
Hey Jerry not piling on you here but since you are the only moderator answering :)

If he had started doing that anyway why was he sent the PM?
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » February 8th, 2017, 11:42 am

Everyone please reel your outrage back in a bit. :)
Rand Man wrote:I received an anonymous PM from the moderators that my posts are not welcome. Bye
This isn't true. I did not write the PM in question to him, but my understanding is that he was asked to not make lots of posts that are entirely links and quotes (which, while possibly inspiring discussion, are not themselves "discussion").

Please note that while some of you did not find anything objectionable about the legislative posts, other users did. Per a request from one user, I moved all the legislative posts to the News forum, at which time I suggested that Rand Man might also "participate" in these forums by, say, posting or commenting on TRs, or otherwise talking about hiking in a non-political context.

In a separate PM to Rand Man notifying him of the posts being moved, I also suggested that if he wants to keep posting legislative info, perhaps he could do it under a single "Legislative" topic that I could sticky to the News forum - sort of like what we do with gun discussions, so that these political topics don't take over the forums.

I would note that Rand Man neither participated in non-political topics, nor accepted the suggestion to condense all the legislative posts into one topic. (There are a lot of them in the News forum right now, bumping most other topics down or off the page.) And as this forum is not primarily about political topics, it doesn't seem unreasonable that someone asked him to tone it down, participate in other ways, or - at the very least - stop creating posts of endless quotes and links (some of which were links to Google searches!), which seems very spam-like and not entirely in line with forum guidelines.

I would caution people against confusing objections to the content of his posts (which I'm not aware of happening) with objections about the manner of his posts. No one asked him to leave the forum or to never talk about legislative topics, and leaving appears to be his choice after receiving pretty mild feedback.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » February 8th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Bosterson wrote:I would caution people against confusing objections to the content of his posts (which I'm not aware of happening) with objections about the manner of his posts. No one asked him to leave the forum or to never talk about legislative topics, and leaving appears to be his choice after receiving pretty mild feedback.
Thanks for saying that. My reaction to reading his exit snit was simply, "Ass, meet door!" I have no doubt I'm fully sympathetic with nearly everything he posted, but it was one of the most obnoxious and sustained displays of indifference to an existing community I've ever witnessed.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 8th, 2017, 12:39 pm

"If he had started doing that anyway why was he sent the PM?"

Maybe time lag? The decision to send the PM was made before the change in posting? Maybe the PM was sent, then he changed his posting, then he sent this departure message?

And just what Nat said, including that was pretty mild feedback

Funny how people over actand react on the internet