legislation etc

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
Rand Man

legislation etc

Post by Rand Man » January 18th, 2017, 10:24 pm

non-partisan. neophyte. interested in sharing info and discussing legislation related to trails, wilderness etc. but you could have guessed all that. spend about a couple weeks of nights a year in a tent and a couple months of days a year on trail and off trail, day outing or backpack. not adverse to biking swimming skiing snowboarding hunting fishing.

Eric Peterson

Re: legislation etc

Post by Eric Peterson » January 19th, 2017, 7:05 am

Thanks

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » January 20th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hello Rand Man. Since you have an interest in such things would you consider making a post regarding the legal foundation of all the checkerboard timber farm land in the PNW? I recall reading that this land was originally deeded to the railroad companies and that deed was not necessarily intended to be permanent. (IANAL; pardon any misuse of terms.) I wonder if these lands should have reverted to their previous owner (the federal government?) instead of becoming timber farm property?

Rand Man

Post by Rand Man » January 20th, 2017, 2:26 pm

After reading the majority and dissenting opinions regarding the JWPT, it seems these situations are not clear cut.

http://law.justia.com/cases/washington/supreme-court/1996/62217-5-1.html

Besides resolving what was agreed to way back when, recent transfers have been maid by quitclaim, in which case there is no warranty as to what is actually purchased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quitclaim_deed

Elsewhere i've read that the fed gave western lands away for free to encourage settling.