Hello from a midwestern girl happily relocated in Oregon!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
scschmits

Hello from a midwestern girl happily relocated in Oregon!

Post by scschmits » January 13th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Hi all,

I discovered this amazing site recently and thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Sarah and I moved to Portland with my partner in August from Lawrence, Kansas. We are thrilled to be here, as it was a longtime dream :)

I love hiking and am looking to get out as much as possible in 2017. I am hoping to start backpacking this year (need to gear up this spring!) and I am also an avid climber. I just started snowshoeing which I love!

Any suggestions on good hikes to do or good snowshoeing trips would be appreciated. I am willing to drive a few hours away from Portland. I have done a lot of the closer trails in the Gorge, by Cannon Beach, and near Mount Hood. Looking to expand to more difficult hikes and more areas of Oregon this spring and summer. Especially interested in getting snowshoeing recommendations as I am new to the sport!

I am also always up for new hiking partners! I am a 30 year old biologist - I love animals, being outdoors, new experiences :)

Thanks for reading my post,

Sarah

retired jerry

Re: Hello from a midwestern girl happily relocated in Oregon

Post by retired jerry » January 14th, 2017, 6:30 am

welcome

don't think all this snow on the ground for so long is normal, it'll be 20 years before it happens again :)

for two days go to your local park/wildlife area, like along Fanno Creek near me

justpeachy

Re: Hello from a midwestern girl happily relocated in Oregon

Post by justpeachy » January 15th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Welcome! Hope you'll share your hiking adventures with us here on the forum!

Were there many hiking opportunities in Kansas?