Long Time Lurker, Decided to Introduce Myself

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
jonpape

Long Time Lurker, Decided to Introduce Myself

Post by jonpape » December 31st, 2016, 5:45 pm

Hi, everyone! I use this board regularly and decided to post in the Introduce Yourself forum after reading about the Trail Keepers Group and how they maintain this forum.

My name is Jon and I have lived in Portland/Beaverton since Dec 2012. In August 2015, I was reading about this "easy" hike on All Trails called Barrett Spur and my friend Tyler (who is a trail running maniac) agreed to go with me. As most of this group will know, there is nothing easy about Barrett Spur. I wasn't fat but I was really inexperience (ran out of water) and out of shape (smoking) and I failed miserably.

So for New Years 2015/2016, I decided I would get in shape an climb Mt St. Helens in May. My first big hike that I completed was Larch Mountain in Feb 2016. Almost every weekend after that, I completed another difficult hike: Dog Mountain, Table Mountain, Saddle Mountain, etc. On May 15, 2016, I climbed Mt. St Helens.

More importantly, in August of 2016, I climbed Barrett Spur, the hike that inspired this obsession.

Usually, I hike alone and I'm sort of sick of heading out by myself. If you are interested in hiking on Saturday or Sunday, hit me up.

Favorite hikes: Paradise Park, Coopers Spur, McNeil Point. I love Mt. Hood.

Hikes I would like to do this year: Timberline around Mt. Hood, South Sister, Mt Adams, Silver Mountain from Bluff Mt or Ed's Trail, Mt St. Helens (when I went this year it was super cloudy and I couldn't see anything.)

About me: 41, M, married and 7-year-old son. Dog named Coco.

Family Photo by Top Spur (my wife doesn't hike)

Peder

Re: Long Time Lurker, Decided to Introduce Myself

Post by Peder » December 31st, 2016, 7:18 pm

Congratulations on getting up Barrett Spur - it is probably my favorite spot on the mountain. Join groups (e.g. Meet-up) or join invites and after a while you will have a hiking network. Happy trails for 2017!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 31st, 2016, 8:10 pm

welcome, nice list of favorites and hikes to do next year

DouggieFir

Post by DouggieFir » December 31st, 2016, 10:40 pm

Welcome! Got some great hikes planned! You're not alone on St Helen, had to call my climb off due to weather as well.

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » January 1st, 2017, 6:51 am

Nice to meet you jonpape.

I almost had a similar experience as you on St Helens. First time I climbed it, it was socked in clouds until like 8000 ft, then in the scree scramble by the summit, it peaked above the cloud layer, and got some incredible views. Hope your next trip up it is better!

And welcome to the forum!

scschmits

Post by scschmits » January 13th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Hi Jon,

Awesome story of how you got into hiking! I am often looking for people to go hiking with on the weekends. I work during the week, so really only have Saturdays and Sundays. Maybe we can hike sometime!

Sarah