Greetings and Salutations!

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
RPEngie

Greetings and Salutations!

Post by RPEngie » January 9th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Hello,

As many in here have stated, I am a long time user of the forum for trail notes, trip reports, and suggestions. I've been in Portland for 6 years and started actively hiking when I was living in the UP a few years before.

I am making it a goal in 2017 to track (GPS and photos) my hikes and backpacks more consistently and figure a great way to do that was to also add in contributing trip reports. I also want to look into some volunteering to help give back to all the work done to maintain trails here.

I am an avid hiker and snowshoe-r and backpack and camp a few times a year. I'm looking at potentially giving cross-country skiing and possibly some mountaineering/climbing a shot this year.

A few favorite hikes of the last year or so: Goat Rocks, Boy Scout Ridge (snowshoe), and Rock of Ages.
IMAG3090.jpg
Goat Lake in July!
IMAG3618.jpg
Boy Scout Ridge on Christmas

A few disappointments: getting to a closed Mt. Defiance trailhead this summer after psyching myself up for it (although ended up doing the Rock of Ages loop instead), turning back at 9500' on South Sister (crazy wind!)

All time favorites: Mt. Neakhanie and Paradise Park (from any approach).

Goals this year: Mt. Defiance; Mt. St. Helens; Paradise Park in the snow; Timberline Trail or Three Sisters Loop Backpacks
Goal(s) this ?decade?: Chamonix to Zermat Haute Route (winter and summer)

I'd appreciate any suggestions for great snowshoes within a couple hours of Portland as well! Mostly been around Mt. Hood, but did a bit in Opal Creek as well.

Cheers and hope to see you all on the trail!

Ryan

Peder

Re: Greetings and Salutations!

Post by Peder » January 10th, 2017, 10:21 am

Welcome Ryan - you have some good plans! A good approach with snowshoes is to check trip reports to see where others go, that also gives a good indication of the conditions. This is a snowshoe outing to kill for, so something to dream about when you are not thinking of the Haute Route!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

RPEngie

Post by RPEngie » January 12th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Thanks Peder! That looks phenomenal. May have to look into that this spring...

scschmits

Post by scschmits » January 13th, 2017, 10:07 pm

Hi Ryan,

I am also looking for good snowshoeing routes near Portland..let me know what you hear/discover and I will do the same!

Sarah