New Oregon Hiker with a Challenge

Introduce yourself to the group! We welcome novice and expert alike! We especially love hearing from those new to Portland and those new to hiking
JasonFutch

New Oregon Hiker with a Challenge

Post by JasonFutch » October 29th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Hello everyone, I am excited to be apart of this forum in hopes that I can receive the encouragement and motivation to strive for excellence to achieve my health goals.

I am Jason, and I am a 25 year old resident of Portland. I moved to the PNW from Florida in 2015 for work and haven't looked back. Growing up in Florida (the Northern part), there wasn't a lot to do in my region other than short walks and the State Parks; which isn't anything to brag home to mom about. I did some small hikes however, and they weren't challenging in the least. But since I moved to Portland, I noticed my sense of adventure return. But I have been so busy with work I haven't felt like time is on my side....till now.

I am making time for myself to get healthy and fit to hike some of Oregon's trails. As I write this, I know if I don't do something about my health now, it will decline rapidly because of my work and all the driving I do. So I have a goal. My goal is to start small, with the easiest hike that doesn't take forever, and gradually keep moving up until toward the end of next year, where I want to go from Portland to the Oregon/Idaho border before the snow falls. I know its a tall order, but its definitely my goal and could use all the encouragement I can get.

I want to start with the smaller trails in Portland, so if anyone knows of trails I can take, let me know. Also, I know I would need to pack really well if I intend to take a long ass hike like the one I am planning on next year, so I could use advice on what kind of equipment I would need and what I should pack. Thanks in advance and looking forward to chatting with everyone. I am also opening to meeting up with people for hikes as well in the Portland area. An encouraging friend would definitely be ideal!

Jason

squidvicious

Re: New Oregon Hiker with a Challenge

Post by squidvicious » October 29th, 2016, 9:03 pm

So it sounds like you haven't started exploring the gorge yet? That's the obvious place to start--close to town, high payoff (high waterfall concentration), shorter trails, but also many with connections so you can build up longer hikes when you're ready.

The Latourell Falls loop is only 2.5 miles, and the most difficult elevation gain is probably the paved part right off the parking lot (going clockwise). No junctions, so no fear of getting lost on that one. And if that was too easy, just head down the road to the next trailhead when you're done.

It's a good time of year to be checking out the gorge trails, since they won't be *quite* as crowded with tourists, but trails can get pretty muddy and slippery with the rain. Poles can be helpful even on easy trails when it gets slick.

Peder

Post by Peder » October 30th, 2016, 12:23 am

Welcome!

Getting out is half the fun, it doesn't really matter if you do 3, 30 or 300 miles!

Closer to Portland looping around the riverfront is good fun: E.g. OMSI (you can park for free a little further north) - Steel Bridge - McCall Park - Tilikum Crossing.

Parking in St Johns, crossing the St Johns Bridge and doing a small loop in Forest Park is also a cool way of spending a few hours with minimal driving. (The hike I have in mind is in Matt Reeder's Off the Beaten Trail).

Good luck with getting out on the trails and reaching your goal!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Aimless

Post by Aimless » October 30th, 2016, 10:45 am

My advice would be simple: walk some every day, even if it is a short walk on city streets. That way, when you have the chance to walk on a trail, your fitness level will be higher, you'll go further, see more and enjoy it more. It will become a virtuous circle. Good luck and have fun!

scschmits

Post by scschmits » January 13th, 2017, 10:12 pm

Jason,

Sounds like an amazing goal! One hike I really like is Old Salmon River Road out by Mount Hood. http://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/orego ... iver-trail
Its a beautiful hike but also completely flat. And you are along the river in the gorgeous forest the whole way!

Good Luck with your goals for 2017 !

Sarah

Charley

Post by Charley » January 14th, 2017, 9:26 am

Here's a book about a guy walking across the state. It's an easy read, and a great way to learn about the state:

https://www.amazon.com/Listening-Coyote ... 0870715267

Not coincidentally, he's also written numerous guidebooks for hiking. They're easy to follow, and an invaluable resource for getting out and getting back. The most relevant one for us Portlanders is the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Hikes-Northwest- ... K2F9K6ZAQ0

Best of luck!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.